Impala Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying I don't know much about car's (it’s just really not my area of expertise), and I really appreciate any help any of you provide!

I have a 2000 Chevy Impala, the engine is great has about 95000 miles on it. I just got it inspected and had some work done on it (nothing serious just an issue with the battery/alternator) a couple weeks ago, but before that the vehicle sat thru last winter.

I was driving my 2000 Impala the other day and it started to make a lot of noise when I break (but I couldn't feel anything in the breaks). The noise sounded like it was coming from the rear passenger side tire, I looked and could see that it was rusty back there but not rusted through, no rust was flaking off, and nothing would fall or break when I banged the area. The sound almost sounded like some time of die electronic device or a weird grinding. I have added some pictures of the area please let me know if anyone has had something like this happen or know what I am talking about. The two people who have looked at one said it can’t be fixed and to just junk the car the other said that the rust areas we can add sheet metal sand use an antirust thing and seal or something like that ... Also that there is no damage to the important areas of the car’s frame, but we would need to fix some stuff in that area (control arm, sway bar, more)?

Please let me know if you think u can help but need to see something else or more info.

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
I will say that most places don't want to touch the issues at hand. Many MOONS ago 90' I had a car that I loved and learned a hard lesson about buying a car from a Rust Prone state. After many months of trying to find someone to fix my car I found a person that was more then happy to do the repair. Just under 1900 In my case they needed to Cut out the infected area back to healthy factory welds and they Mig Tig or did some type of welding that when done looked just like the factory. In my case it was my 1 front shock tower and rear drivers side. All was cut out and when done looked new. The car back then I found out many years later was prone to fail and others made other some as good some not so good repairs, to be Honest if it was me today, Even if I had the money I had back then I would have just bought a different car.

I didn't watch it but here is a Vid about a 99 Grand Prix At first I seen the listing I thought it was your Picture lol, it shows how he fixed his problem I am not going to say that I would fix my car that way but that is just me. From what he says in his Description there are a lot of W Bodies with this issue... There are others on there as well just looking at the listings.

As much I love my 00 I am not sure I would go through what I did back in 90. Difference was the car was little over 2 years old my 00 is 17 and has served well.

James

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You so much for replying I appreciate it ... and yea i don't have the money to buy a new car and the engine is in great condition breaks everything has been fixed recently the other thing I was thinking is finding a body in good condition of a 2000 impala to pop the engine and stuff into I have to see if price both out and look to see what I can afford/what is out there

1 - 3 of 3 Posts