Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 impala LS, 3.8 v6. When free reving reaches 4k it bucks and seems to be having problems. Is this normal?

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
How does it run if you try to hold the pedal to the floor when taking off from a full stop with out trying to squeal the wheels? If the tack goes over 5.5K with not stumbling then the rev limiter may be trying to protect the engine when it is unloaded.

If you find that the problem still exists then check fuel filter, fuel pressure, vacuum leaks, condition of spark plugs, spark plug wires, cap, and rotor.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
How does it run if you try to hold the pedal to the floor when taking off from a full stop with out trying to squeal the wheels? If the tack goes over 5.5K with not stumbling then the rev limiter may be trying to protect the engine when it is unloaded.

If you find that the problem still exists then check fuel filter, fuel pressure, vacuum leaks, condition of spark plugs, spark plug wires.
fixed ;)

If your in P (possibly N, cant remember) the car wont rev over 4k ish

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Ah, yes I do forget these engine do not have a cap and rotor. Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My '08 SS Is Limited to 3,500 RPM in park.

When I press the gas pedal to the floor in park, the revs wont go over about 3,500 RPM. This is normal then? So no sounding tuff at stoplights I guess... :( Bummer. Does GM think I might fall asleep with my foot on the accelerator in park?

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
Freee reving like that is hard on parts. Connecting rod bolts almost always fail under tension and the vacuum above the piston when free revving adds a lot more tension then they would normally see. GM is trying to protect your car from YOU.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts