·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dudes,

for those that have not been following along some back story:

car died at idle, fuel pressure at regulator was tested and showed "0"
fuel pump replaced, fuel pressure then reads "55"...good
but car still wont turn over so i replaced regulator, now starts happy...

problem is i am getting a rough idle with a check engine light. under heavy throttle i hear the motor almost bog down for a half second before it revs up. i dont have access to a code reader at the moment...any ideas?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Any black smoke? Symptoms sound kind of like its running rich, but codes will help tremendously.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i was getting black smoke initially and exhaust smelled funny. i thought i had bad gas or something at first. it was a rough time thinking it was just the fuel pump but still couldnt get it to turn over. almost like air was in the line or i had bad gas if thats even possible. now it starts everytime its jut a rough idle. mechanic said mass air flow based on the code read but i couldnt verify that. he's also the one that told me i had to drop the gas tank to get to the pump. i will scan soon and re-post.:hope:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
P0102

idle goes from 10 to 15 repetitively while driving on the highway with foot off gas...its surging.

will a vacuum leak at the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose give me these symptoms? the aftermarket fuel regulator that rock auto sold me does not hold the vacuum hose on snug like oem. had to use a make shift hose clamp but im pretty sure it's sealed. just making sure its not a vacuum leak and its the sensor. i got these symptoms after i tried to clean the sensor so i wonder if it could have been damaged.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Possible, try spraying carb cleaner around the hose and see if the idle races, if it does its leaking.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Speaking of idle RPM, what's a healthy idle for a 3800 SII with 150,000 mi?

·
Makes your VISION, stop & stare
3,934 Posts
Did you check your vacuum lines?? Check and see if the IACV is cleaned and not sticking.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
replaced MAF with a cardone. didnt realize it was a GM remanufactured part so i went with that since that's what the local shop had. reset the code and put the replaced the vacuum line on the fuel regulator even though it didnt appear to be leaking. now its a snug fit and piece of mind.

runs like a champ again...for the moment :yahoo:

·
Registered
183 Posts
P0102

idle goes from 10 to 15 repetitively while driving on the highway with foot off gas...its surging.

will a vacuum leak at the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose give me these symptoms? the aftermarket fuel regulator that rock auto sold me does not hold the vacuum hose on snug like oem. had to use a make shift hose clamp but im pretty sure it's sealed. just making sure its not a vacuum leak and its the sensor. i got these symptoms after i tried to clean the sensor so i wonder if it could have been damaged.
it's your air filter or maf sensor. check the housing and tube for cracks. you can put some gasket sealant on it also. I never by aftermarket anymore. that just makes my mind race even more. if your going to throw parts at it to diagnose the problem get the genuine oem part. This way you will not have to second guess yourself if it does not work.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Should have just cleaned the maf first

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had the same code. Cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaning spray, but didn't help. Ended up having to buy a new one. Code went away after a ten mile drive and engine runs fine now. Cost me $130, but a very easy install.

2002 Impala 3.8L

1 - 13 of 13 Posts