Impala Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought this car for my wife. All orignial and to the knowledge of the previous owner the car has 96K and no indication of engine ever being rebuilt. Previous owner did a tuneup. New plugs, wires, cap/rotor, PCV and air cleaner. It starts everytime and runs ok on hwy. It does bog down sometime when I stomp on it to get out n traffic. Also will not go past 80-85 seems to cont. Being sluggish at that speed. HELP!!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
sluggish

There is a lot of areas to start with. I guess if I had to pick one I would look at the distributor first. If the points and timing are not setup right, it's not going to allow it reach certain rpms/speeds. Does the car run strong at lower speeds? When accellerating from a stop sign does it get up and go strong and does the rpms go pretty high? Have you looked at the carb linkage? When you step on the gas pedal does it open the butterflys all the way?

Jeff

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car does not get up and go. Runs fine once getting down the hwy. Continues to die at almost every stop. I plan to chk points, distributer, timing and also planning to use carb cleaner etc... tomorrow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shes Running Good!!!

I cleaned the Carb really good, set the Dwell, reset timing and she is running good!!!

:eek:k3:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Running good

Cool, glad you found your problem. Often you need to back to the basics. Thats why ask certain questions before I say it's this! If your points will not allow your timing to advance, well, then your motor will only run to a certain point. It will run strong till then, however as your speed increases, so does the engines need to have more time to burn the same amount of fuel. Anyway, glad you figured it out, good for you. :eek:k3:

Jeff

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
ltrrtl, Do your self a favor...HEI conversion, 600 CFM 4 bbl, dual exhaust. Less tune-up issues, more power, better MPG.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
conversion

Thx Gregg-O, That is the ultimate plan. HEI, 600cfm 4bbl Carb and Dual exhaust... Hopefully sooner than later........Any suggestions on Brand names?

·
Super Moderator
10,792 Posts
Assuming your 350 has the stock cam , a Holly 600 will do it good.
My engine having a slight upgrade cam runs poorly untile the engine warms up with the 600. Stalling is a problem for me for the first mile or two.
After that it's great !!!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
holly vs. Edelbrock

Old Bones (all)

Yes, the 350 is all original... :yikes:

What are your thoughts on Holly 600 CFM vs. Edelbrock 600 CFM ?:dunno:

I have a 71 Chevy PU with a Edelbrock 600 CFM and I like the performance I am getting. (installing Headers on the Pick-up this weekend):yahoo:

I am considering staying with the Edelbrock so that I am consistent with my two classics.

thoughts?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Hey Bones, Sounds like you have choke issues. ltrrtl, I've had several of both, I like the Edelbrock because of the adjustabilty with very little mess. Being an old guy, I love Quadrajets, the spread-bore design really gives you the best of both worlds, good MPG when on the small front primary's, and a good kick when you open the big secondary's. But they aren't cheap & aren't the most user friendly to set-up right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thoughts?

Installed HEI, new plug and wires. Also replaced old air cleaner with new open Edelbrock which removed old style heat riser setup. Only issue I am seeing is it takes longer to warm up. Seriously considering adding a Edelbrock 600 with electric chock. Thoughts?

·
Registered
276 Posts
im bummed i chimed in too late too push quadrajet shame on ya'll haha. would probly find the divorced choke setup to be extremely convenient i know i do. once its setup right it is just so streight forward. i woulda also said holleys have amazing throttle response but ive never been able to pull any better than 11 mpg out of one. im biased against afb style carbs so thats that on eb

·
Registered
276 Posts
sry missed greggo s post to which i say heck ya. but hey, once you get the Qjet all dialed thats it. you'll never be messing with it again.. unlike an afb or a performance holley

1 - 13 of 13 Posts