Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help me figure this out. I have replaced my cv axles, wheel hubs, tie rods, rotors and pads, sway bar mounts, and sway bar end links. I still have this thumping at all speeds from 10mph plus that is definitely rotational and coming from the front driver side. I swapped wheels to make sure that it wasn't a flat spot and nothing changed. The car can drift a little on the highway but not bad and it drives relatively straight. Could it still just be alignment because i havent done one since all that work. I was told it could even be a shock but i have a hard time believing that. Anyone that can think of something let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Please help me figure this out. I have replaced my cv axles, wheel hubs, tie rods, rotors and pads, sway bar mounts, and sway bar end links. I still have this thumping at all speeds from 10mph plus that is definitely rotational and coming from the front driver side. I swapped wheels to make sure that it wasn't a flat spot and nothing changed. The car can drift a little on the highway but not bad and it drives relatively straight. Could it still just be alignment because i havent done one since all that work. I was told it could even be a shock but i have a hard time believing that. Anyone that can think of something let me know. Thanks.
You've thought of just about everything it could be.

One more thing to consider, could it be a loose plastic panel flapping in the breeze? I could see one of those flapping with a frequency which varied with air flow speed, sounding like a flat spot on a tire.

Another thought is an alignment issue whereby the toe is out and the contact patch of the tire moves in (or out) until it reaches its limit, then snaps back. It's a bit far fetched, but there aren't many things left to consider.

You might go back to moving tires around. A thump might still sound the same even if moved on the same side or same end. You might want to try using the spare and moving it around. Have you jacked it up and hand turned the tires looking for a flat or high spot? That might help pinpoint which tire to focus on.

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. Im actually leaning towards the alignment with major tow out because you feel it in the car and hear it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have struts on the 2008 Impala. They have mounts and bearings on the top of the strut. When wore out they will make that thumping sound when you hit a small bump, cross a railroad crossing, etc. . Check Rock Auto it will show a picture of the part. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3844278&cc=1440297&jsn=1085
I did an alignment and it helped kind od, but the issue really didnt go away. Would believe it was struts too but even smooth flat road it does it. The sound is definitely related to something rotating in the driveline with resistance at one part of the rotation, I asked a shop to give it a drive and he said it had to get worse to figure it out but also it could be something transmission related? This is driving me nuts because the rest of the car is solid besides this problem. No rust or anything. I am trying to figure out if i can record the problem and post it, but i dont think its loud enough at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^+1. If you r&r'd the tie rod(s), inner or outer, you definitely need an alignment.
i tried an alignment and while the handling improved (alignment was really out and i knew that but was lazy) the issue didnt change?☹

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does the thumping speed up as car speed increase? I have something like this going on and it's a worn tire and it's out of round. Not the same as a flat spot. When you swapped the tires tires did you swap the 2 fronts? If so, swap them front to back and criss/cross. See if the problem moves to the rear of car. If so you know it's in the tires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does the thumping speed up as car speed increase? I have something like this going on and it's a worn tire and it's out of round. Not the same as a flat spot. When you swapped the tires tires did you swap the 2 fronts? If so, swap them front to back and criss/cross. See if the problem moves to the rear of car. If so you know it's in the tires.
It kind of increases with speed. I have swapped for a shitty spare set of wheels i have and drove down the street and the issue didn't go away which led me to believe it wasn't the tires. Right now I am leaning toward something in the transmission since they are kind of garbage. Was thinking one of the solenoids or like a torque converter is knocked out of balance or giving out in a part of it. I dont know if that makes sense

1 - 11 of 11 Posts