Impala Forums banner

421 - 437 of 437 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Who is Jim. Is he a reseller of these units. I have been looking for one.

Just wanted to share my experience buying a GM1010 from Jim, now that I've had a few months to get acquainted with the stereo. I really can't recommend him enough as a seller - he was very courteous and helpful, and is clearly a fountain of knowledge when it comes to these stereos. I ran into a very minor issue with the stereo he sent me, where the volume knob was too sensitive - any light touch would adjust the volume by a couple notches. He had some ideas for how to fix it, but when those didn't work, he immediately sent out a replacement stereo at no extra cost. I would have been content just using the steering wheel controls, but he wanted to make sure everything was perfect for me. Thanks Jim :)

As for the stereo itself, I love it! I mainly wanted to upgrade my Impala's stereo because I wanted one with built-in GPS and Bluetooth. The GPS takes a little getting used to, but once you've figured it out (Jim has posted guides on how to use it, and was more than happy to answer my questions) it works exactly how it should. My only complaint about it is that the voices are a little muffled and can be hard to understand. As for the Bluetooth, it works, but if you're using the GPS it can be a problem because it pulls you out of the GPS screen if you adjust the volume past a certain level. Jim suggested that I purchase the stereo with an iPod harness, so that I can just have an iPod sitting in the glovebox with all of my music stored on it. The stereo keeps the iPod charged (but only when the stereo is powered on, so it doesn't drain the car's battery) so I never even have to touch it unless I want to add more music to it. I think buying the stereo with the iPod harness is the way to go, because then you don't even need Bluetooth since all of your music is right there everywhere you go - and I have so much more storage space on my phone, now that I don't put music on it.

Overall it was a wonderful upgrade for my Impala, and you can't go wrong buying one off Jim. Thanks again!
Who is Jim. Is he a reseller of these units. I have been looking for one.

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #422
I have been looking for one of these units for my Lucerne. After 5 years are they still decent? GPS still update? I mainly want to have the GPS and bluetooth for phone but did not want to loose the steering wheel and chime functions. Also if I get one from Ebay and harness is not included is it hard to find the harness?
Sorry for the super-late response... I am Jim, but unfortunately, I'm out of the radio business now... :) However, you can now find the harnesses (both Bose and Non-Bose) on EBay. The price for the Non-Bose harness is like $78 shipped, but the price for the Bose harness is crazy (about $208!!). I do have a few Bose harnesses here, so if anyone needs one, let me know - it will be MUCH less than $208!! :)

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions - and PM if interested in a Bose harness.

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Someone just asked me (via PM) how to get YouTube videos to play on the Rosen (via the SD card or USB port). I haven't done a lot of testing to see exactly what video formats that Rosen supports, but I do know that it supports .avi and .mpg video files. I have a *huge* library of Movies and TV Shows in .avi format and so far, they've all played on the Rosen fine.

Anyway, back to YouTube. Here is an easy way to download a YouTube video (music videos, for example) into a format that the Rosen supports:

1. Copy the URL of the YouTube video to the clipboard
2. Go to https://www.onlinevideoconverter.com/video-converter , paste the YouTube URL into the link box and select ".mpg" as the video format to convert to. This will convert the YouTube video to a .mpg file and save it to your PC/mobile device.
3. Copy the resulting .mpg file to the SD card and it should work on the Rosen.

For some reason, the .avi files that the site creates don't seem to work on the Rosen (not sure why), but the .mpg files do work. I only tested one video from Chrome on an Android device, so maybe you can get the site to create .avi files that work on the Rosen with a little more testing...

Alternatively, if you already have a bunch of .mp4 files, you can also download a Windows video converter app and just convert them to .avi or .mpg files in "bulk"...

Sent from my Vi10 Plus using Tapatalk
Did you work out the avi problem to this? I tried your method but used an alternative downloader - check out the software by Freemake - the Youtube video downloader tool

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #424
Did you work out the avi problem to this? I tried your method but used an alternative downloader - check out the software by Freemake - the Youtube video downloader tool
No, I never looked into any further (don't have a need to play YouTube videos on my car radio). You'd just have to mess with it and try different options (or use the method I described and use .mpg files instead of .avi files, since the .mpg files that get created with my method do work on the Rosen).

If you do figure out how to generate .avi files that work on the Rosen, please do post it for others that may be interested though! :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Jim s not u a pm relatively new to the forum ...doing a complete swap exterior engine pc tranny ect... from a 2013 without Bose donor car into a 2010 with Bose .just woundering what kind of problems I might run into and which harness I would need for the Rosen ..and are the maps still upgradeable on these units thanks for any info guys

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #427
Hi Jason. Yes, the GM1010 will *definitely* work on the 2013. I have one in my 2012 and the 2013 is identical.

Regarding the Bose/non-Bose thing - it all depends on what you are going to end up with in your car. If the are going to end up with the Bose system (including the Bose wiring going to the stock radio and the bose amp in the rear-deck), then you'll need the Bose harness. If you are going to have a regular non-Bose wiring to the radio and no amp, you'll need the non-Bose harness.

Just not sure how far you are going with the swap (if you are including bose wiring and amp or not)...

Sent from my Hi10 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Where is the amp located rear deck not sure where that is lol ? And do to the different engines I’m assuming fuel pump would be different so probley changing harness right to the back .also be interested in your Bose harness ? The eBay guy is a bit crazy wanting more then double the the unit itself haha

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #429
The amp is located between the 2 rear-deck speakers (rear speakers). If you look where the rear speakers are from inside the trunk, you'll basically see an empty hole (non-bose) or an amp (Bose).

I'll PM you about the Bose harness.

Sent from my Hi10 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
No, I never looked into any further (don't have a need to play YouTube videos on my car radio). You'd just have to mess with it and try different options (or use the method I described and use .mpg files instead of .avi files, since the .mpg files that get created with my method do work on the Rosen).

If you do figure out how to generate .avi files that work on the Rosen, please do post it for others that may be interested though! :)

I sent you a pm about a gps SD card.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #433 (Edited)
I don't think anyone has ever tried it. Just by looking at the 0712 harness, I can definitely see that the XM connection is different - so at a minimum, you would need to replace the XM connector (it's RCA L/R connectors on the 0712 harness and a 4-pin connector on the real harness) - OR, I guess you could modify the XM connector coming out of the back of the GM1010 and convert it to RCA connectors. Either way...

Not sure what other differences there are, but I'm assuming that there are some. You need to compare it with a real harness.

You can just try it, but you just never know what, if any, damage it will cause to the radio or the car computers if the wiring is different. If you have a 12V+ line go to a CANBUS line, for example, you could really mess up your computers...

You can try sending an email to Rosen support and see if they will tell you...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a gm0710 installed in my 09 Buick Lucerne for over 5 years. One day it would not power on so I reset it. Now it wont turn off. The backup camera, steering wheel controls and door chimes quit working. I have rerouted the fuse in the fuse box to turn the radio and amp on and off with the key. It was draining the battery. I can find gm1010 on ebay but cant find the bose harness.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has any one found a way to hook up a ipad or phone though the auxiliary / rca inputs on the back of the radio to watch hulu or something like that I've hooked up a dtv box but to watch it you have to be setting still it's behind the drivers seat in my camper my wife was wondering if it could be done thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has any one found a way to hook up a ipad or phone though the auxiliary / rca inputs on the back of the radio to watch hulu or something like that I've hooked up a dtv box but to watch it you have to be setting still it's behind the drivers seat in my camper my wife was wondering if it could be done thanks
Udate got it going you can watch live tv on the rosen gm1010 though the aux/rca inputs I've got an iPhonex this is how I done it all you need is a lighting adapter for iphone and a hdmi in to rca out if you have Netflix or hulu on your phone its easy here is some pics of what you need oh one hdmi cable

·
Registered
1 Posts
That sucks about them not selling the refurbished units anymore.

That being said, if interested in a used GM1010 for a great price, PM me - I might be able to help...

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk
I have gm1010 problem cant get the nav maps to load from the sd card onto the nav for operation my card is a 4gb do i need a newer version thx. Fred

421 - 437 of 437 Posts