Impala Forums banner

381 - 400 of 434 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #381
A few things I recently learned about the Rosen GM1010/GM1210....

1. The GM1210 apparently has better sound quality when streaming via bluetooth - at least with some phones (not sure if it's true for all phones or not yet). The user that didn't like the bluetooth streaming sound quality on the GM1010 exchange it for a GM1210 and was much happier with the bluetooth streaming sound quality on the GM1210 (using the same phone).

2. Upgrading to a Rosen from a stock non-Bose system will give you a bigger increase in performance than upgrading from a stock Bose system. Basically, with a Bose system, the Rosen still uses the stock Bose amp, so you really aren't getting any additional power and very little (if any) increase in sound quality (since you're still using the same amp). If upgrading from a stock non-Bose system, you'll end up with a much higher quality and more powerful amp than you originally had in the standard non-Bose radio - so you'll notice a bigger difference. Of course, either way, you still get a big increase in features. This is true for both the GM1010 and the GM1210.

Just sharing information as I get it! :)

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
As one who came already had the Bose, I'd say the the Rosen 1010's sound is still improved with the BBE. I enjoy it much more than I did.
I still have not gotten myself an ipod and ipod harness. I mostly just stream music off my phone. Despite the annoying error you get when you raise the volume up to a point and that little thing comes up on the screen and takes you out of whereever you were and back to the bluetooth music player screen, I still mostly use Bluetooth. I do notice at times I get skips. Like the connection freezes for 1 or 2 seconds. Sometimes, it's bad, sometimes nonexistant. I find that part a little annoying, no idea what's causing it, my guesses have been interference. Could be phone.
Overall, I'm still happy with it. It does so much more than my stock unit did.

I did have a question i wondered the other day. Are the Rosen 1010s and 1210s the only ones compatible with our cars, or has Rosen since developed a newer model that's compatible?
I had considered the 1210 due to the upgraded interface, but had also noted someone once mentioned they felt the sound processing wasn't very good, at least compared to a 1010.

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #383 (Edited)
You're 100% correct - I failed to take that into account! The BBE processor most certainly does increase sound quality, even on the Bose systems. Thank you for bringing that up.

The stupid bluetooth volume warning is the dumbest thing I've ever seen - I can't understand why in the hell that designed it like that! I was testing bluetooth the other day and that was really annoying.

The Rosen 1010 and 1210 are the 2 newest models for our cars - there are also the 07xx series, but they are even older than the 1010 (lower resolution screen, uglier interface, etc). It's a shame, but so far Rosen has not introduced anything newer than the 1210 - it's still their "current" model (even though it hasn't been updated in many years). The 1210 does lack the BBE sound processor, unfortunately. That being said, some people prefer the 1210. They each have their pros/cons - I'll post a good pro/con list of each in a bit. The GM1010 is better for some people and the GM1210 is best for others - all depends on your priorities in a head-unit.

EDIT: Here is a quick pro/con list of each of the units (in my opinion, of course!):

Rosen GM1010:
- Pros
- BBE Sound Processor
- Amp power
- Navigation flexibility and ease of access
- CANBUS interface built-in (chimes and turn-signal sounds come out of car speakers)
- Better second-zone (headrest monitor) flexibility
- Overall build quality​
- Cons
- Phone interface
- Bluetooth streaming sound quality (at least with some phones)
- USB/SD interface is bad​

Rosen GM1210:
- Pros
- Enhanced interface (album art, interface customization, etc)
- Much better phone integration
- Pandora interface (if you own an iPhone)
- Supports "add-on" XM tuners
- Can adjust pre-amp levels of each input​
- Cons
- External CANBUS interface box (chimes and turn-signals come from external box)
- Navigation app is stored internally and uses a Rosen-specific version of Primo
- Not quite as fast or "bulletproof" as the GM1010 (iPod/XM/turn-signal quirks)​

Basically, if bluetooth (both for phone calls and music streaming) is your top priority, the Rosen GM1210 is probably a better choice. If general sound quality and navigation are most important then the Rosen GM1010 is probably a better choice. You have to decide which better suits your needs. For example, I almost never use the phone in the car and don't stream via bluetooth - so that wipes out most of the GM1210 strengths for me personally. To me, if I wanted the best sound quality for media from my phone (music stored on phone, Pandora, etc), I would use the headphone jack (which will almost always sound better than bluetooth) - especially when combined with the 1010 aux-in headphone jack harness that you can mount anywhere (instead of the headphone wire hanging down from the radio). But again, it's all about personal preference and which unit suits your specific wants/needs the best.

Even though they are both sold by Rosen, the units themselves are actually manufactured by two completely different companies (the Rosen 1010 is made by Caska and the 1210 is made by Zenec). Rosen basically just customizes the software on them... So you really can't count on anything hardware-wise between the two being "equal". :) It sure would be nice if Rosen combined the strengths of each unit into an updated unit, but I honestly don't see Rosen releasing a new model though - the automotive world has moved on from standard 2DIN radios - now the radios so integrated into all of the cars functions (and come with touch screens) - so I just don't see Rosen investing in a new plug-and-play, OEM-look 2DIN model.

The only other options are the Chinese plug-and-play units that run Android. While they are lacking the level of integration of the Rosens (no XM or OnStar support, most lack true dual-zone functionality, external CANBUS module, etc), they do look nice and Android would be nice to have. I do have some quality-level concerns with them, but I'd still like to try one someday!

·
Registered
598 Posts
So, I am taking this opportunity to say I'm an idiot. I was never *super* impressed with the sound of the Rosen over stock. Sure, it was definitely better, but not omgwtfbbq better.

Then last week I realized my BBE setting on the Rosen was at zero... *Facepalm*

Now the sound is absolutely incredible. It's a whole new experience. It sounds *so* much better. Now it's definitely omgwtfbbqlol better, and this is with stock Bose amp and speakers.

·
Registered
626 Posts
That BBE processing is pretty good. Wish the 1210s had it in them. Gonna have to add a DSP to my system eventually.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I went back over the audio settings after installing the 4 speakers and OMG!

I went for max before distortion on the BBE, and biased to rear a bit and I am so happy.

Now how do I hear the turn signals?

I've read here that it was adjustable on the stock system, but not on this system, but that setting carries over.

Everyone says the blinkers are too loud, but I cannot hear them with the radio turned to old people volume. Then crank the stereo.... and I find them on all the time now.

Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #387
I went back over the audio settings after installing the 4 speakers and OMG!

I went for max before distortion on the BBE, and biased to rear a bit and I am so happy.
Yeah - definitely need to adjust the audio settings after installing new speakers. For the BBE setting, I usually set it to somewhere between 6 and 8 - and then I adjust Bass, Mid and Treble from there (usually set them to -1 to -3). One thing that I *really* wish these units supported is "per-input" audio settings - so that I could have separate BBE and Bass/Mid/Treble settings for each input (XM, iPod, etc).

Now how do I hear the turn signals?

I've read here that it was adjustable on the stock system, but not on this system, but that setting carries over.
While I do believe that the warning chime volume was adjustable on the stock radio, I don't think that the setting on the stock radio has anything to do with the warning chime volume on the Rosen. We were tossing around that as a possibility at one point, but then found that the difference in the warning chime volume had more to do with the exact year of the car and not the radio. I think earlier 8th gens have quieter chimes and newer 8th gens have louder chimes - not 100% sure about that though. I'm also not sure the chime volume had any impact on the turn-signal sound with the stock head-unit (not sure if the turn signal sound volume was impacted by the chime volume settings on the stock radio).

Everyone says the blinkers are too loud, but I cannot hear them with the radio turned to old people volume. Then crank the stereo.... and I find them on all the time now.

Any ideas?
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here... First thing - did you make sure you re-connected the stock tweeters (if you ever disconnected them). I believe that the chimes and turn-signal sounds mainly use the stock tweeter on the GM1010 (chimes and turn-signal sounds come from the external CANBUS box on the GM1210) - so if the stock tweeter is disconnected, it would have a huge impact on the chime and turn-signal volume.

I'm really confused by the last statement "Then crank the stereo... and I find them on all the time now." - what do you mean by that? You "find them on all the time now"??

First thing I would do is to make sure that your drivers-side tweeter (the one in the a-pillar) is connected *and* actually working - that would have the biggest impact on chime/turn-signal sound volume. It could be that the stock tweeter is bad or something...

I don't believe that the chimes and turn-signal sound volume changes with the radio volume at all - so the louder the radio is, the harder it will be to hear the chimes and turn-signals - it was that way with the stock radio too.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yeah - definitely need to adjust the audio settings after installing new speakers. For the BBE setting, I usually set it to somewhere between 6 and 8 - and then I adjust Bass, Mid and Treble from there (usually set them to -1 to -3). One thing that I *really* wish these units supported is "per-input" audio settings - so that I could have separate BBE and Bass/Mid/Treble settings for each input (XM, iPod, etc).

While I do believe that the warning chime volume was adjustable on the stock radio, I don't think that the setting on the stock radio has anything to do with the warning chime volume on the Rosen. We were tossing around that as a possibility at one point, but then found that the difference in the warning chime volume had more to do with the exact year of the car and not the radio. I think earlier 8th gens have quieter chimes and newer 8th gens have louder chimes - not 100% sure about that though. I'm also not sure the chime volume had any impact on the turn-signal sound with the stock head-unit (not sure if the turn signal sound volume was impacted by the chime volume settings on the stock radio).

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here... First thing - did you make sure you re-connected the stock tweeters (if you ever disconnected them). I believe that the chimes and turn-signal sounds mainly use the stock tweeter on the GM1010 (chimes and turn-signal sounds come from the external CANBUS box on the GM1210) - so if the stock tweeter is disconnected, it would have a huge impact on the chime and turn-signal volume.

I'm really confused by the last statement "Then crank the stereo... and I find them on all the time now." - what do you mean by that? You "find them on all the time now"??

First thing I would do is to make sure that your drivers-side tweeter (the one in the a-pillar) is connected *and* actually working - that would have the biggest impact on chime/turn-signal sound volume. It could be that the stock tweeter is bad or something...

I don't believe that the chimes and turn-signal sound volume changes with the radio volume at all - so the louder the radio is, the harder it will be to hear the chimes and turn-signals - it was that way with the stock radio too.

The turn signals were much much quieter after the Rosen install in my 2016 LTZ.

The tweeters were reconnected in both pillars after install.

I had to yank the HU to snake the camera RCA cable thru the rear of the DIN cavity, and since I've reinstalled the HU, I can barely ever hear the blinkers.

I use them muchly on the trip home, in traffic, while using slower vehicles as turn pylons, and I now quite often see I haven't cancelled them long after the slalom.

I'm shocked that anyone thinks they are too loud.

Also, since the speaker install and rebiasing of the audio levels, the Nav audio is nearly inaudible. I can hear something, but I can't hear what is said.

Is there a volume control in settings for the Nav?

I'm immensely happy, and I'm sure there's a way around this, but I don't have much free time now to search for it.

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #389
The turn signals were much much quieter after the Rosen install in my 2016 LTZ.

The tweeters were reconnected in both pillars after install.

I had to yank the HU to snake the camera RCA cable thru the rear of the DIN cavity, and since I've reinstalled the HU, I can barely ever hear the blinkers.

I use them muchly on the trip home, in traffic, while using slower vehicles as turn pylons, and I now quite often see I haven't cancelled them long after the slalom.

I'm shocked that anyone thinks they are too loud.

Also, since the speaker install and rebiasing of the audio levels, the Nav audio is nearly inaudible. I can hear something, but I can't hear what is said.

Is there a volume control in settings for the Nav?

I'm immensely happy, and I'm sure there's a way around this, but I don't have much free time now to search for it.
Most people with the newer 8th gens feel that, if anything, the chimes and turn-signals sounds are too loud. I personally like the volume level (I like to be able to hear them!). I'm now wondering if the chime/turn-signal sounds are quieter on the Bose systems than they are on the non-Bose systems (I have a non-Bose system). Maybe the year has nothing to do with it and it's the Bose/Non-Bose thing that is the difference... Can someone else with a Rosen GM1010 and a Bose system comment on the chime/turn-signal sound volume (compared to stock)?

Are you saying that the volume level of the chimes/turn-signals went down significantly after removing and re-installing the Rosen in order to connect the backup camera? If so, I have to wonder if some of the wiring is loose, crushed, etc... I did have it happen once after re-installing my GM1010 (after testing another unit) that the a-pillar tweeter would cut in and out - simply removing the radio, making sure all connections were tight and re-installing it corrected the issue (couldn't determine what specific connection fixed it though). There are lots of wires and connections involved (and "shoved" in there), so it's possible someone loosened up...

If I were you, I would also confirm 100% that the a-pillar tweeters are in fact working correctly. If you turn the treble up, you should be able to hear a significant difference in overall sound just by putting your hand over the a-pillar tweeter and then removing your hand - and comparing the sound difference (you should even be able to notice a big difference at regular treble levels).

Regarding the Navigation voice/sounds, YES - there are separate volume controls for the radio side of things and the navigation side of things. The Rosens are nice in that you can adjust the navigation app volume directly via the normal radio volume controls (instead of having to adjust via menu settings in the GPS app) - but the volume can also be adjusted in the GPS app menus as well. To adjust the overall navigation volume, simple adjust the radio volume while a navigation voice is talking - this will adjust the GPS volume (independently of the radio volume). This is a very useful feature that not all nav units have. I constantly adjust the GPS volume depending if I'm on the highway or how loud I'm playing the music...

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have a Rosen 1210 connected to a Bose system. I realize the 1210 is different from the 1010 in that it uses the little squawk-box speaker for the turn signals, instead of the car speakers, but my turn signal volume is about 1/10th what it was with the OEM head unit.

I had read a complaint by Wilson about the signals being annoyingly loud with his 1210, so I wrapped my CANbus box with foam and tape before installing my unit, and the signals were practically inaudible. I've since removed the sound deadening from the box, which made the signal tones audible, but the volume level is still 1/10th what it was with the original head unit. Maybe Wilson's car is a non-Bose setup. :icon_scratch:

·
Registered
575 Posts
Most people with the newer 8th gens feel that, if anything, the chimes and turn-signals sounds are too loud. I personally like the volume level (I like to be able to hear them!). I'm now wondering if the chime/turn-signal sounds are quieter on the Bose systems than they are on the non-Bose systems (I have a non-Bose system). Maybe the year has nothing to do with it and it's the Bose/Non-Bose thing that is the difference... Can someone else with a Rosen GM1010 and a Bose system comment on the chime/turn-signal sound volume (compared to stock)?

Are you saying that the volume level of the chimes/turn-signals went down significantly after removing and re-installing the Rosen in order to connect the backup camera? If so, I have to wonder if some of the wiring is loose, crushed, etc... I did have it happen once after re-installing my GM1010 (after testing another unit) that the a-pillar tweeter would cut in and out - simply removing the radio, making sure all connections were tight and re-installing it corrected the issue (couldn't determine what specific connection fixed it though). There are lots of wires and connections involved (and "shoved" in there), so it's possible someone loosened up...

If I were you, I would also confirm 100% that the a-pillar tweeters are in fact working correctly. If you turn the treble up, you should be able to hear a significant difference in overall sound just by putting your hand over the a-pillar tweeter and then removing your hand - and comparing the sound difference (you should even be able to notice a big difference at regular treble levels).

Regarding the Navigation voice/sounds, YES - there are separate volume controls for the radio side of things and the navigation side of things. The Rosens are nice in that you can adjust the navigation app volume directly via the normal radio volume controls (instead of having to adjust via menu settings in the GPS app) - but the volume can also be adjusted in the GPS app menus as well. To adjust the overall navigation volume, simple adjust the radio volume while a navigation voice is talking - this will adjust the GPS volume (independently of the radio volume). This is a very useful feature that not all nav units have. I constantly adjust the GPS volume depending if I'm on the highway or how loud I'm playing the music...

To be clear, the turn signal chimes went down by a factor of at least 5 after initial Rosen install.

It was after biasing to the rear for heavy thumping stadium base for my screaming crazy hippy drug addled rock music, that the chimes became inaudible.

After previous post, I biased back to neutral F-R, but still had almost no perceptible turn signal chime.

I wonder if turn signal chimes are also similarly adjustable as Nav directions?

These Rosen thingys have so many nuanced adjustments, secret hidden touch screen option selection areas and other feature selections it's mind boggling.

There's an Associates Degree of user options in these things.

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #392
To be clear, the turn signal chimes went down by a factor of at least 5 after initial Rosen install.

It was after biasing to the rear for heavy thumping stadium base for my screaming crazy hippy drug addled rock music, that the chimes became inaudible.

After previous post, I biased back to neutral F-R, but still had almost no perceptible turn signal chime.

I wonder if turn signal chimes are also similarly adjustable as Nav directions?

These Rosen thingys have so many nuanced adjustments, secret hidden touch screen option selection areas and other feature selections it's mind boggling.

There's an Associates Degree of user options in these things.
Hmm - I'll bet it's a "Bose"-thing thing with the quieter turn-signals.... Are the chimes quieter too - or just the turn-signals? Can you make a short video so I can hear them (I can do the same)?

As far as I know, the chime/turn-signal volume can't be adjusted at all. I've been wrong before though! :) I'll definitely do some testing to see if I can adjust them while they're on...

I'd definitely confirm that your drivers-side a-pillar tweeter is working too.... That is the main source of chime and turn-signal sounds (I don't think the front-rear bias affects the chime volume, but not 100% sure on that off-hand - I'll confirm).

·
Registered
598 Posts
Hmm - I'll bet it's a "Bose"-thing thing with the quieter turn-signals.... Are the chimes quieter too - or just the turn-signals? Can you make a short video so I can hear them (I can do the same)?

As far as I know, the chime/turn-signal volume can't be adjusted at all. I've been wrong before though! :) I'll definitely do some testing to see if I can adjust them while they're on...
For me (08 w/ Bose) the turn signals are really quiet and I can't even hear them sometimes... They're there, just really quiet, but the chimes are at a decent volume. I also have no option to adjust chimes, the menu options disappeared from the DIC.

·
Registered
575 Posts

I'd definitely confirm that your drivers-side a-pillar tweeter is working too.... That is the main source of chime and turn-signal sounds (I don't think the front-rear bias affects the chime volume, but not 100% sure on that off-hand - I'll confirm).

The reason I can say that the drivers/left A pillar tweeter should still be connected is that I never disconnected it as the A pillar on that side never was removed.

To install the Rosen's GPS antenna, I simply pulled the right one (passenger) and lifted the right side of the dash panel enough to stuff the antenna down in there.

Pulling it to confirm connection and that is working is a valid suggestion, but it wasn't disturbed for the HU swap.

I could come up with a video, but can I post a vid at photobucket?

If not, I'd need a good vid host suggestion, or perhaps just email it directly to you from the crappy 6 I have?

I'll try the volume adjust during Nav route thing this morning.

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #395
I have a Rosen 1210 connected to a Bose system. I realize the 1210 is different from the 1010 in that it uses the little squawk-box speaker for the turn signals, instead of the car speakers, but my turn signal volume is about 1/10th what it was with the OEM head unit.

I had read a complaint by Wilson about the signals being annoyingly loud with his 1210, so I wrapped my CANbus box with foam and tape before installing my unit, and the signals were practically inaudible. I've since removed the sound deadening from the box, which made the signal tones audible, but the volume level is still 1/10th what it was with the original head unit. Maybe Wilson's car is a non-Bose setup. :icon_scratch:
I'm positive that @mwilson62000 has an LT, so I'm pretty sure he has a non-Bose system. I'll bet you that is the difference - the Rosens must set a chime/turn-signal sound that works for both Bose and non-Bose, but is not optimal on either. :) Must have something to do with the Bose system having an amp and the non-Bose system not having an amp. Since the Bose system outputs line-level volumes (quieter) and the non-Bose system outputs speaker-level volumes (louder), that probably explains the difference. You'd think that the Rosen would handle things like the stock radio (so that the chimes were the same level for Bose and non-Bose systems), but it sounds like that is not the case unfortunately.

This definitely explains why some people think the sounds are too loud and others think that they are too quiet! :)

On my system, they are even louder than normal - I have an add-on amp and have the amp setup to use the speaker-level outputs (instead of line-level outputs) - so my chimes are even louder than the normal non-Bose chimes! It's a long story, but for whatever reason, I couldn't get my amp to turn off properly when using the GM1010 line-level outputs, which is why I'm using speaker-level outputs to feed my amp.

·
Registered
575 Posts
@Tesla and @jtrosky - I do have the non-Bose system w/ my 1210. I think you guys are correct, that has to be the reason for the volume difference. As mentioned, I wrapped my speaker box in foam, which made my chime volume acceptable and made my signal volume a little lower than I prefer, as you can only hear them if head unit volume is very low.

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #397
Thanks @mwilson62000. As good as these Rosen units are, there are little things that they seemed to have "missed" - such as not allowing you to adjust the chime/turn-signal sound volume, not having different equalization settings per input, the stupid "check your phones bluetooth volume level" message box on the GM1010, etc. I mean no head-unit is perfect, but some of the little quirks just seem to obvious and would have been so easy to fix - makes you wonder what they were thinking...

I really wish that Rosen would release an updated 2DIN unit that combined the best of the GM1010 and GM1210 (and maybe even add Android Auto and Apple CarPlay or whatever it's called)... To me, it seems that there is a pretty big market for these head-units (they work in TONS of GM's!) - not quite sure why Rosen and even Advent have abandoned these units. I realize that newer cars can't use them, but like I said, there are TONS of GM's on the road that can still use them... I wish I had the resources to design my own unit! :)

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #398 (Edited)
@Carbide (and others) - here is a link to a short video I made this morning where you can hear the loudness of my warning chimes and turn-signal sounds... Just for comparison. I have a feeling that mine are MUCH louder than they are on the Bose systems - especially since they increased a little more after adding my amp (using speaker-level outputs from the headunit).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx1imK6LGFN9NU5aMTg4RUxFQlU/view?usp=drivesdk

·
Registered
575 Posts
Nav volume def adjusts while directions are spoken.

I've considered pulling the Rosen, and temp connecting the stock unit to see if adjusting the levels that way will improve the Rosen blinker volume.

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #400 (Edited)
Nav bolume def adjusts while directions are spoken.

I've considered pulling the Rosen, and temp connecting the stock unit to see if adjusting the levels that way will improve the Rosen blinker volume.
Unfortunately, I don't think that adjusting the chime volume setting on the stock radio will have any impact. Since the sounds are generated from within the head-unit (whether it be stock or the GM1010), adjusting something on one shouldn't have any impact on the other - they are completely separate. It's not like the volume level is stored in the car somewhere (like the BCM) - its all in the specific radio (which is why the volume control function on the DIC goes away when the stock headunit is removed). But like I said, I've been wrong before! :)

How are your volumes compared to the volumes in my video?

EDIT: I'm wondering if a hardware reset would help? What intrigues me is that you saying how it got quieter after you removed and re-installed it when doing the backup camera.... Maybe try the little hardware reset button and see if that changes anything (will erase your settings though, I believe)...

381 - 400 of 434 Posts