Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I was hoping there might be some experienced Rochester minds on here to help me with my dating problem (and no, I am not looking to ask an old 4GC out on a date!)..

I have located a Rochester 4GC with the numbers

89 04

From what I could find on the web, I have dated it to March 30 (89th day of the year) 1964..

That's the date I got from using Leadfoots Rochester Identification Guide (http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/leadfoot/qjet1.htm) using the bottom 4 numbers (89 04)..

though when you use the top number (7025122) it decodes the date as 1965..

Can anyone please interpret this for me??

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I am not a Rochester expert. But in order for the auto manufacturers to get the cars out on time they do have parts built months ahead of the assembly line.

The dates you found may well both be right. The carb may have been built on March 30, 1964 for the 1965 model year production line.

·
Registered
828 Posts
That's my take too - they made it on one date and put it to use on another.

When I used to buy rebuild kits (mainly from Napa) for Rochesters they only used the 70XXXXX number to identify the year.

The carbs from that era were the ones I liked the best of all the Rochesters, nice and simple and decent gas mileage potential.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, thanks for your replies. I was starting to think that it might have been the case too when I went back and had another look at the numbers.

Thanks for taking the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts