Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks,
I just bought a 2010 Impala LT, and I want to put some rims on it for the summer. What size rims would be optimal to maintain a smooth ride.

I have 16" on there now, I wanted to go to an 18" or 20" but I'm not willing to sacrifice the smooth ride. I do a lot of highway driving.

I'd also like to know how it affects the fuel economy, and someone once told me I should get the trans controller(?) retooled for a larger rim and so the speedometer is correct.

Any other facts or concerns about buying rims would be appreciated also. THANKS!

·
Super Moderator
10,791 Posts
Welcome to the forum......
A lot of guys here run 20s , your speedo will be a bit out.
Not sure if clearance will be a factor for you but going to a lower profile tire to keep the same overall diameter will cancel that (a bit rougher ride though)
Personally I'd go 18 but others will chime in soon :beer:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum......
A lot of guys here run 20s , your speedo will be a bit out.
Not sure if clearance will be a factor for you but going to a lower profile tire to keep the same overall diameter will cancel that (a bit rougher ride though)
Personally I'd go 18 but others will chime in soon :beer:
Sounds good. Im leaning more toward the 18's anyway, but since I've never done aftermarket rims, I don't know the perils of larger rims.

·
Super Moderator
10,791 Posts
I have no personal experience with larger rims but I do know it's harder on the tranny and differential.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Larger wheels weigh more, which puts extra strain on everything. Speedo is only affected by overall diameter, use an online tire calculator to decide what size tire to run. Going to an 18 will stiffen the ride up a little, but it shouldn't be too bad.

·
$ILLK
155 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm running 245/35/20's on my car. I'm pretty sure that's the closest to the overall diameter of stock 16's and have no clearance problems. From my experience you will lose some gas mileage and some ride comfort. I get about 25-28mpg on avg highway with stock and about 21-23 with the 20's on. I also do a lot of daily freeway driving on the turnpike so the ride is not bad. If you are looking for the most comfort and still want a plus size aftermarket wheel go with no larger than 18's like the others recommended. I wanted the dubs and was willing to have the trade off since most of my driving is highway bound. Hope this helps.:eek:k3:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts