Impala Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Impala LTZ: My right low beam headlight went out. Figured it was the bulb. No big deal. Got the new bulb, plugged it in, and it didn't work. Tried the bulb from the left headlight which I know works and it doesn't work on the right. It's not the fuses, because I checked them and even switched them. So there's just something wrong with the wiring to the right low beam socket. How do I determine what the problem is?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
2013 Impala LTZ: My right low beam headlight went out. Figured it was the bulb. No big deal. Got the new bulb, plugged it in, and it didn't work. Tried the bulb from the left headlight which I know works and it doesn't work on the right. It's not the fuses, because I checked them and even switched them. So there's just something wrong with the wiring to the right low beam socket. How do I determine what the problem is?
I would probe the two wires feeding the bulb to make sure you see +12V going to the connector/socket. If that checks out, then you need a new connector/socket. In the past, on the gen8 Impalas like yours but a few years earlier than your 2013, we saw lots of bulb connections fail. Presumably the heat from the bulb would cause some sort of deterioration of the metal plating in the connector/socket resulting in intermittent function of the lights. You can get replacements at the parts store for ~15-20 bucks. They need to be soldered in place.

If you don't see +12V on the wires feeding the connector, then that needs to be rung out. Do you see +12V between the connector hot wire and GND on the battery? Does the GND wire at the connector ohm to GND at the battery?

In short, you need to figure out if it's wires or connector.

HTH.

Doug

1 - 2 of 2 Posts