Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Chevrolet ImpalaStrut and Coil Spring Assembly Suspension Price: $83.10 Core: $0.00 Qty: 1 Part#: 181662L

2002 Chevrolet Impala Strut and Coil Spring Assembly Suspension Price: $84.10Core: $0.00 Qty: 1 Part #: 181662R

Those are what I installed on the rear of the car. Ordered them from partsgeek.
Now i'm wondering why my back end seems to squat more than it did.....
Perhaps those weren't the right kind to get?

I also replaced the fronts, with MONROE 181661 Front Strut & Coil Spring Assembly.

I'll take a pic soon and put it up here....

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
These are cheap, they drive nice for a few weeks but then you notice them settle out. Then they dont keep the trunk as high and you bounce a little over bumps. And let me tell you, the car rides much better when the trunk is high; less body roll, doesnt push so far into the lane around a curve, etc. Theyll do fine if you just need some struts, but otherwise go with something better if your looking to keep your car for a long time.

^that is what i found as a review on amazon^

So apparently thats just a issue with the struts but they are the correct ones.

Some other things to know about struts and springs...
They sag and settle over time a bit after weight has been put on them
They are only ment to last 50k miles.
Monroe makes a decent product and im not bad mouthing them but they are at the bottom of the quality and cost scale. They use softer cheaper springs and spring rates and cheaper shocks.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
This also happened to me when I changed my struts. I have 17" wheels. Apparently, the 181661 and 171661 are designed for 17" wheels and are longer struts then the rear ones. The rear ones are designed for 16" wheels and are shorter struts. It makes no sense why they would do that, but the ride is still good.

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Idk what quick assembly they make or anything like that but if the ride quality is that bad and the ride height is that low then id replace them.

·
Banned
667 Posts
Oh, here's the pics I was going to add. Sorry I couldn't get a perpendicular perspective because of where I parked it. :)
heres a good perspective

drops 1/2" when I get in the car (into the back seat)(I weigh 104.5kg or 230 pounds.)

Front end is = the rear end

Attachments

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Yeah that's really low. Lower than when my stock struts where completely blown out. Something is def wrong there. Monroe make's decent strut packages but, the economatic's are their base/junk assemblies. Go with kyb's

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I guess I just don't see why the rears would behave like that...seeing as how the fronts are fairly strict in their height maintenance...almost more than stock it seems....

It's just so wierd how the rears differ so much, especially w/ less weight on them.

are you on stock suspension, Anonymous?

Oh! And would it be a bad idea to just replace the rears? I don't think I'll need to replace the fronts, if I don't have to.

Thanks for the comparative pics!

·
Banned
667 Posts
Yeah, I guess I just don't see why the rears would behave like that...seeing as how the fronts are fairly strict in their height maintenance...almost more than stock it seems....

It's just so wierd how the rears differ so much, especially w/ less weight on them.

are you on stock suspension, Anonymous?
guess it's the factory stock ones that came with the car.. how do I check?

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Go with KYB, they have by far the best reviews. I'm sure you could find them cheaper than amazon, but here is the part numbers. I had them bookmarked.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ Agree! It's always best to go with full assemblies as they are easier to replace. Also, it is recommended that if you replace just the struts, to replace the top mounts and rubber underneath the spring. Between the price of struts, top mounts, and rubber it would cost more than just buying complete assemblies. It is also recommended to get a rear end alignment after replacement whether you did struts or full assemblies.

Scotty: Already on my amazon wishlist if left over income taxes.

Edit: That's it I am calling it a night. Already told myself a few times but, this time I am for real. Good night IF

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I may go that route. I contacted Monroe about the problem, and the guy said

Thank you forcontacting Tenneco Automotive.

You will need to warranty those out for part numbers 171662L/171662R QuickStruts. Those Econo Matics (181662L/181662R) are no longer available for theImpala.

For further questions or assistance, please contact technical assistance at734-384-7809 M - F 8:30am - 5:30pm EST.
but he didn't really answer my question....

·
Registered
432 Posts
The problem is the springs that are use, they are the run of the mill over produced one use for many many makes and model cars. Your best bet is to swap those out fior intrigue or 9c1 spring out back. 9c1s and intrigues use the same springs, so if you hit up a junk yard it'll be easier to find an intrigue.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts