Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, This is my 1 st post to this site, I need some expert advice. I am about to attempt my 1st total restoration on my dream car, A friend of mine has located a 1963 Impala SS 2 door hardtop w/original 327 (do not know if it runs or not) with a/c, p. windows & p. brakes, but it needs a lot of work. He sent me some pics of the car that I would like to share and would like some help in determining if the car is a doable restore or if it is too far gone, I am willing to spend as long as it takes to restore her. When I finally go to see the car what should I look for to determine if this is worth restoring or not, how much rust is to much? the hood is peppered with a lot of big holes, should I get another one or could I weld good metal to the hood to repair it?
I could email you the pics to look at for your advice, just let me know.
thank you ArchAngelmm

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
:eek:not to put down your project and i ahte to see any car go to waste specially an ss impala but damn thats alot of rust man thats alot of work im sure another moderator will chime in but all in all thats alot of rust reapir to be done on that car and if the engine even turns over id be surprised ............ like i said i would never wish a rusty grave on any car thats just a pretty big project .... :eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hot damn! I would say do it. There is a black '63 SS next to my house and I can tell you, but you probably know, that the car looks effing amazing. Do it Do it Do it. At the very least get the engine from it. I have a 327 in the '68 Impala I am working on. Check the condition of the frame. it looks like you would need to place the entire floor. I would suggest going to classicindustries.com and checking for the floorpans for the car before you do anything. Or as a last resort you could buy the car and just have someone fabricate the metal and use a crap load of POR15. email me. I would be very interested in finding out if you purchase this car and how the resto goes. [email protected].

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would say at least tear it apart MAKE SURE TO BAG IT AND TAG IT!, take lots of pics, get it bead/media blasted and see what you have.
I started ripping my 64 apart last may long weekend,similar condition..that is...once there is enough rust to replace the floor or quarters, more rust dosen't matter you know what I mean?
I invested in a rotisserie,I already had a small mig welder, a sandblasting cabinet, compressor,and a variety of handtools that I will probably sell after I am done.
The only hurry I am in is due to my impatience, and the fact that I don't work much in the winter.If you are in no hurry, and not looking to get rich off the car (the opposite will probably happen..:frown:) and are truly looking for a labor of love, then go for it moreso.
I have replaced my entire floor, and trunk well, ( I am a concrete contractor, not a bodyman) 2 items your car needs, and I have repro quarters, fenders, hood,trunklid and a few other parts ready to put on.
Most parts are readily available for 63's and 64's, and most seem quite good.
SS cars will always be worth more, so restoring them is more worthwhile.
If for some reason you get it blasted and it just is not worth fixing...eg the frame and body are terminal, you could always make a few bucks back by selling the parts.
Look seriously at Year one, Ecklers, Cars inc., and Carshop at their prices on replacement parts, and determine how much it would cost to redo it.Also note on e-bay how much your parts might be worth.Never under estimate what the small, seemingly insignificant parts might be worth.I'm finding it is probably going to cost me $30-40k to do an original quality resto, which with a 409 will break me about even.This dosen't include the 400 or so hours already into it, and the 3-400 hours more to go.I am getting a tad anal about the degree of resto, and I'm sure I could save money and parts somewhere.

What tranny does it have?

Good luck,
Brett

·
Registered
808 Posts
Depending on the price, I would grab the car for the exterior & interior trim alone, because it appears to be all there and undented. That stuff can cost an arm and a leg.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts