Impala Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw something about removing mufflers (replace with 2.25" pipe) and keeping the resonators. Has anyone done this? What kind of sound deadening was there? I dont want to be quiet, but at the same time I dont want to be getting pulled over every half mile for being too loud. If it is tolerable, I might do this. Any opinions? Sound clips would be nice too, if you have done this.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
If you keep the cat(s), it might not be all that loud. Cats muffle the sound as much as a muffler does.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I did it to my 94 Fleetwood as an experiment when I bought the 215 Catback. I did it again to my 95 Red RMS. Both times, I thought it was a decent budget option. SO long as the cats are still on. Once the cats are removed, it sounds like complete horse shit. I removed the cats on my 95 Red RMS(went headers / no cats, then stock manifolds / no cats). I just drove it today. Still sounds like shit. I like to place friends at the bumper, then start it. Without any gas, they normally jump. It's loud, and annoying like this. I will be attempting an H pipe first, to see how it sounds. But odds are, I will end up putting Magnaflow XL turbo's on it when I start driving it again in August.

These sound clips are with headers, no cats, no muffler, stock pipes. Resinators attached. They are nothing more than an empty tin can.

·
Registered
997 Posts
It's a LOT cheaper.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly. I am on a tight budget, but am wanting to do what I can.
King, I would be retaining both Cats... for now.

·
aka IMPALER
3,174 Posts
They are nothing more than an empty tin can.
I completely agree. Removing stuff only makes it louder not necessarily sound better. A lot of trucks around my town just care about being as loud as possible so they just start removing restrictions like cats and mufflers and all they are is noise noise and more noise! :bang: :gaah: :yikes:

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I completely agree. Removing stuff only makes it louder not necessarily sound better. A lot of trucks around my town just care about being as loud as possible so they just start removing restrictions like cats and mufflers and all they are is noise noise and more noise! :bang: :gaah: :yikes:
I dont mind being loud, I just dont wanna be "getting-tickets-all-of-the-time" loud. I got a V8 and I want it to sound like a V8. I'm on a budget so i am trying to do it as cost effective as I can.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I love that flowmaster sound, but I have a set on my barracuda. The drone at 40 mph is enough to make you crazy. I actually think the stock mufflers do a decent job of making it sound good while keeping it fairly quiet. I did notice a difference once I took the resonators off. One was gone when I bought it, the other fell off as I was pulling into the car quest parking lot for something, so 10 min later with a set of borrowed cutters, I no longer have any resonators and it actually sounded pretty good, so I just dropped a straight 2.5 dia 18 in pipe out the back in it and drove it around like that. Sounds pretty cool.\

Also, DEAR GOD WHAT IS THAT RATTLING IN THE 3RD VIDEO!

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
... I actually think the stock mufflers do a decent job of making it sound good while keeping it fairly quiet...
My stock ones don't have any sound and are extremely restrictive. I want them gone. My car is too quiet.

·
Registered
997 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
My stock ones don't have any sound and are extremely restrictive. I want them gone. My car is too quiet.
I also have 2.5s past the muffler. I fired it up today, that thing is actually quite loud inside. It's nothing like my mom's 5.7 in her ex 91 roadmaster which you could barely hear. This sucker is loud. There is a quite audible hum/rumble in the car.

Thanks, I got it from my grandfather.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like you got a little oil burning. Maybe need to replace the Valve seals? Very cool car though. Got any walk around vids or pics of the car, beside the back end? Again, my wife loves the old 'Cudas.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Oh yeah that engine is tired. REEAAALL tired. It idles at about 10-12 inches of vacuum. Getting up to 50 mph on Capital drive requires full throttle for about 15 seconds. It's loud but slow. It also has a rod knock that has gradually been getting worse, what sounds like rockers rattling on the valve covers past 50 mph and a general lack of power all around. But you get what you pay for, and I bought it for $500 with the knowledge that it was "tired".

If you have a facebook, I have about 50 shots of it, and 3 of the caprice before the accident.

The holley on the engine in the pictures is the reason for it acting the way it was in the video. I bought an Edlebrock AFB and haven't had any problems with stuttering at speed since. Just cutting off completely if I slam on the brakes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts