Impala Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an exhaust leak due to some rusting out on my resonator, and I'm just gonna replace it with a pipe. My question is, should I do a muffler delete while I'm at it? My Impala is a 3.4L. I kind of want to leave the muffler on because I don't have an aftermarket amp so I still want to hear my music, but if it sounds like crap with the resonator gone but muffler and cat still on, I might as well get rid of the muffler, or even make it a full straight pipe.

·
Registered
588 Posts
RockAuto, Has them for only 52 and some change... I would just keep it as it was meant to be...

James

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: got the resonator delete done and it sounds good. Still nice and quiet but less stuff on the underbelly on the car to scrape speed bumps (and a cheaper fix overall). Was just starting to get used to that V6 rumble though... :( Now I'm not even sure if my engine is running sometimes! :D

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
i did the resonator delete on my 2010 3.5 a couple of years ago when it rotted out. rest of the system still holding strong. i'm guessing that resonator was holding water from cold starts or something to cause it to rot out.

i found out the hard way, make sure the shop welds it in and doesn't try to skimp out by using muffler clamps to mount the system. got out to my car and remote started it, thought it sounded good, within 5 miles it went deafening at 70-80 mph. got home and kept hearing something scraping, looked under to find muffler clamps and my rear section of pipe dragging the ground right under the center of the car...i was beyond pissed and took it back to them.then the kid tried to blame the boss for being cheap....cause the 5 dollars in welding rod was too much apparently...never went back to that shop!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i did the resonator delete on my 2010 3.5 a couple of years ago when it rotted out. rest of the system still holding strong. i'm guessing that resonator was holding water from cold starts or something to cause it to rot out.

i found out the hard way, make sure the shop welds it in and doesn't try to skimp out by using muffler clamps to mount the system. got out to my car and remote started it, thought it sounded good, within 5 miles it went deafening at 70-80 mph. got home and kept hearing something scraping, looked under to find muffler clamps and my rear section of pipe dragging the ground right under the center of the car...i was beyond pissed and took it back to them.then the kid tried to blame the boss for being cheap....cause the 5 dollars in welding rod was too much apparently...never went back to that shop!
Yeah I get it done for a good price and they always weld. Welded my res to the exhaust when the original seal there came undone. Then after the res rotted they welded a pipe in its place. None of that bs, I didn't even know there was a way other than welding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.