Impala Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! First post here!

As the title suggests. I'm needing some help on how to replace the passenger side mirror indicator on a 2015 Chevrolet Impala. I just had it at the dealership body shop for some cosmetic damage. It needed the front bumper, both grilles, passenger fender panel and passenger headlamp replaced. (I'm good at hitting other cars that aren't moving..)
Anyway! I got it back from the dealership about a month ago and I just noticed last week that the indicator doesn't work. The plastic covering is cracked and looks like water found its way in there and the LED strip is burnt out. I brought it back to the dealership and they told me that I'd have to replace the whole mirror! I just dropped a lot of money getting repairs done, so I'd rather find another solution! I just don't see why the whole side mirror would need to be replaced if I just need the turn signal indicator!
I'm hoping someone on here has had a similar problem and would be able to help!
I tried to ignore that it doesn't work, but it's been bothering me! Haha

·
Registered
174 Posts
Outside Rearview Mirror Glass Retainers (Qty: 8)

Warning: Approved safety glasses and gloves should be worn when performing this procedure to reduce the chance of personal injury.

Place masking tape over the mirror glass.
Carefully push the outside rearview mirror glass upward and into the right corner of the mirror housing, allowing access to the bottom edge.
Grasp the bottom edge of the mirror glass firmly, lift it up and pull rearward until the mirror glass retainers release the actuator motor ring.
Disconnect the outside mirror glass electrical connectors.

Outside Rearview Mirror Housing Cover Retainers (Qty: 5)

Move the outside rear view mirror to the closed position.
Using a suitable tool, release the retaining tabs while pulling on the housing cover in a specific order.
Release the outside tab first.
Release the two top tabs second.
Release the two bottom tabs last.
Note: Incorrect removal of mirror can damage the housing cover or mirror.

From there it gets into more conventional repair stuff like removing the screws and swapping the lamp. It's LED so you'll be buying a lamp assembly and not just a bulb.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same need on a 2014 Chevrolet Impala. The LED turn signal strip in the drivers side side view mirror doesn't work and the dealership is telling me that I have to replace the whole mirror assembly - which isn't cheap. Anyone come up with any alternatives for getting just the LED signaling strip?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a 2014 ltz and today I tried to follow those instructions carefully but after 5 years of that cover not coming off and all the heat I broke 2 tabs but it still clicks back onto place. My blinker is out, and puddle light is out, I thought taking out the blinker assembly would be easy but I unscrewed all visible screws and I still had to do some more prying. I got nervous and put it back together. I'm aware you can buy the turn signal at the dealer its 71 dollars by me, as opposed to a whole brand new side mirror which would be around 450$, while a used one goes for 250$, my question is if anyone knows how to replace this and what has to be done?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Welcome Steve

Is the casing cracked. If so I'd say replace the whole unit.

I know you dropped a lot of cash on other things but 450.00 isn't too much to make your Impala look spankin new.

·
Registered
101 Posts
After carefully studying for a week a finally was able to replace my turn signal and puddle lamp assembly. It is very easy, follow the instructions on post above on how to remove cover, then remove all visible screws and with the mirror folded in, at the very edge of the outside of the mirror where the blinker ends its held my pressure. Slightly pull black plastic back and the turn signal lamp with slide outward as if it were the whole mirror. Boom. Dielictric grease on connection and reverse process. 20191228_161940.jpg 20191228_162556.jpg 20191228_164631.jpg
20191228_161940.jpg
20191228_162556.jpg
20191228_164631.jpg
20191228_164944.jpg
20191228_161940.jpg

·
Registered
191 Posts
awesome job bro, figuring it out!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for posting this. My plastic cover over the light cracked, and I was hoping the insurance adjuster would replace it as "damage by debris" after the guy ran the stop sign and took out my driver's quarter and front. But nope, I got it back yesterday and they didn't spring for the mirror fix.

My lights still work, I just need to replace the cover. I'll be following your guide and doing the fix!

·
Registered
21 Posts
OK, question ...

Is it necessary to remove the mirror glass? Does removing the glass allow you access to some hidden retainer clips for the cover? Or can you skip that step and go straight to five housing cover retainers and then all the screws?

·
Registered
101 Posts
OK, question ...

Is it necessary to remove the mirror glass? Does removing the glass allow you access to some hidden retainer clips for the cover? Or can you skip that step and go straight to five housing cover retainers and then all the screws?
The actual mirror Does NOT need to come off to replace there Turn signal or the cover. Pop the cap off un screw eveything and then theres a tab holding the turn signal in place towards the outer edge

·
Registered
1 Posts
After carefully studying for a week a finally was able to replace my turn signal and puddle lamp assembly. It is very easy, follow the instructions on post above on how to remove cover, then remove all visible screws and with the mirror folded in, at the very edge of the outside of the mirror where the blinker ends its held my pressure. Slightly pull black plastic back and the turn signal lamp with slide outward as if it were the whole mirror. Boom. Dielictric grease on connection and reverse process. View attachment 162071 View attachment 162072 View attachment 162073 View attachment 162071 View attachment 162072 View attachment 162073 View attachment 162074 View attachment 162071
Hell of a job- gotta try and do my own- I have a trim removing kit with wedges- is that what you used?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts