Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive got the i guess common ENGINE HOT AC OFF message as soon as i start my 2011 Impala. Im gonna try replacing the thermostat since it's probably never been done anyways but hopefully it fixes it. My question is would it be ok to do it on an incline? My driveway is probably a 20 degree angle. Just didnt know if that would cause any problems when i pull the hose off and the coolant drains. Also does anybody know how much coolant ill need ive got a gallon ready to do didnt know of it takes more i dont plan on draining it completely if i can help it

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
If you received the engine hot message - you are probably low on coolant, indicating a leak (even if a small one that takes a while over time to lower the level) - or the coolant temperature sensor / wiring is defective.

If the thermostat is stuck closed - it would cause a very quick over heat, and cause coolant to be pumped into the overflow reservoir.

I would carefully check the coolant level, and determine if you have a leak - before replacing the thermostat. Do you have the 3.5 or the 3.9 engine?

If the engine hot message appears when you start your engine (cold?) - this would probably indicate a bad coolant temperature sensor and/or its wiring.

I would also suggest having the engine scanned for any stored codes before you proceed.

I previously owned 2008, 2011, 2012 Impala LTZ models - and now own a 2014 Impala 2LTZ.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If the engine doesn't come up to temperature within the preset period of time, it will also set off the "ENGINE HOT AC OFF" light. Also disables the temp gauge which is stupid. Don't recall the code though. This has happened to me twice. Thermostat needed replacing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts