Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2004 Impala LS with about 65k...
Brake rotors showing wear & possible scoring.

Just curious about ongoing brake service.
Have you found any differences in materials & install
at the dealer compared to the chains like Midas, Merlin, CARX Firestone, etc
or - is it merely the caliber of the tech and how they were doing that day ?

--
----------------------------------
"If everything seems to be going well,
you have obviously overlooked something." - Steven Wright

·
Registered
140 Posts
I am somewhat biased, as I work at a dealership (although it's a Ford dealer), and I would personally go with AT LEAST using the same parts the dealer uses. I have done a lot of brake work in a small garage also, and I found that on GM vehicles, ACDelco brake parts are a WORLD of difference over some of the premium aftermarket stuff. It came to a point when I worked there, I told my boss that I wasn't putting any aftermarket brakes on GM's anymore. They last longer, are quieter, stop better, and have a better warranty than most aftermarket components.

For a little more cost, you can have a much better quality component.

As for your other question, I would HOPE that quality doesn't vary from tech to tech, ESPECIALLY on brakes, these are life and death components. Unfortunately, sometimes the guys get paid by the job, and some guys just beat stuff out as fast as they can. I do also get paid by what I produce, but you also have to keep in mind, if there is a problem related to the job I did - I'm fixing it again, for free. I don't get paid for comebacks.

And finally, your question about rotors showing pitting at 65k. It's really dependant on how often you drive your car, and how often it sits. Also depends largely on the weather (moisture/rain). At 65k, I would fully expect there is some ability to machine those rotors, and replace the pads. Are you getting any brake pulsation?

Just the rotors wearing, or the pads, too?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my son took his 2004 Impala LS in to check the brakes...
they replaced the rear rotors (60k) and pads, fronts were still ok.

I was wondering.....
can brakes be treated like tires ?
Are they the same front/rear ?

Since he now has new rotors and pads on the rear,
could he - instead - move the front rotors & pads to the rear,
and install the new sets on the front ?

Are the part numbers or size & mounting,
different between the front & rear disc components ?

Is the labor involved to swap front vs rear not worth it - compared to the cost of the new parts ?

--

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am somewhat biased, as I work at a dealership (although it's a Ford dealer), and I would personally go with AT LEAST using the same parts the dealer uses. I have done a lot of brake work in a small garage also, and I found that on GM vehicles, ACDelco brake parts are a WORLD of difference over some of the premium aftermarket stuff. It came to a point when I worked there, I told my boss that I wasn't putting any aftermarket brakes on GM's anymore. They last longer, are quieter, stop better, and have a better warranty than most aftermarket components.

For a little more cost, you can have a much better quality component.

As for your other question, I would HOPE that quality doesn't vary from tech to tech, ESPECIALLY on brakes, these are life and death components. Unfortunately, sometimes the guys get paid by the job, and some guys just beat stuff out as fast as they can. I do also get paid by what I produce, but you also have to keep in mind, if there is a problem related to the job I did - I'm fixing it again, for free. I don't get paid for comebacks.

And finally, your question about rotors showing pitting at 65k. It's really dependant on how often you drive your car, and how often it sits. Also depends largely on the weather (moisture/rain). At 65k, I would fully expect there is some ability to machine those rotors, and replace the pads. Are you getting any brake pulsation?

Just the rotors wearing, or the pads, too?
IMO, GM stock brake components are JUNK these days. It is ridiculous how quickly the brakes wear out on some model cars.

·
Registered
119 Posts
my son took his 2004 Impala LS in to check the brakes...
they replaced the rear rotors (60k) and pads, fronts were still ok.

I was wondering.....
can brakes be treated like tires ?
Are they the same front/rear ?

Since he now has new rotors and pads on the rear,
could he - instead - move the front rotors & pads to the rear,
and install the new sets on the front ?

Are the part numbers or size & mounting,
different between the front & rear disc components ?

Is the labor involved to swap front vs rear not worth it - compared to the cost of the new parts ?

--
No you cannot rotate pads. The components in the front are different than the back. The easiest way to see this is to go somewhere like autozone.com and compare the parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts