Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience in replacing one of these on an Impala SS? What crap do I need to pull off just to get to it? Thanks in advance. Btw, long time forum stalker first time posting. You guys have helped so much from previous threads. Thanks

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Do you mean the harmonic balancer? Like on front of the engine? Cause I have never heard of a harmonic wheel balancer...

You should be able to get it through the passenger wheel well, I know you can on the V6, but I haven't worked on an SS. On the V6, I jacked up the front passenger wheel, took off the wheel, removed the splash guards, supported the cradle with a jack, removed the cradle bolts on the passenger side, and lowered it till I had a clear shot at the balancer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the late reply, had to have surgery. Anyway, yes that is what I mean. By what I'm reading, it looks like I have to drop then engine down and to do that, it looks like a pain! Alldata says I need an engine support brace on top. Have no idea where I would come up with one of those. Take a look at the video here and see if this looks like "acceptable" wobble

Harmonic Balancer - YouTube

Thanks everyone!

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
did not look that bad to me but I do wear glasses. usually when one of these goes bad you get noise out of them, vibrations but it does depend on how bad.

Why do you think this is bad?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Personally, I would replace it. But it might not actually be hurting anything as it is. You don't need to support the engine from the top, you only need to lower one side, and only about 4 inches.

·
Registered
214 Posts
That looks like more wobble than normal to me. Also from his video it looks like he can reach the HB bolt with out lowering the motor. Maybe just a little when pulling the balancer off. Need a HB puller to get the pully off the shaft, which you can get on loan from autozone. Its not a big job, we can help you through it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts