Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a budget of $200 (MAX $300 budget.) for replacement Brakes & rotors parts..

I do want to have the parts on hand since I will be getting some other work done. I can get it all done at the same time. rotors and breaks have to be 100%compatible with OE so I do not have to put out extra money later on for calipers etc.... I also need abs sensor, so a replacement front HUB would be nice also.

I have only $300 in my pocket right now to spend.

OE parts come in at $230 Including free shipping and sales tax. For 2 Brake pad sets ,1 wheel hub & 4 rotors.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Yep, OEM brake components. Been there done that with aftermarket on my GMC Sierra. Ended up with OEM rotors/pads in the end.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That sounds pretty good. Where are you getting them from? What exactly is included in the $230?
new 4 rotors 1x$66(pairs)+ 1x$40 (pairs)
2 new set of brake pads 45 front+rears
new wheel hub $69 front.
sales tax $20 ish

I get some vibration from the front end, when slowing down and the discs are not perfectly smooth. It has plenty of pad left. 90% in the front, 20% in the rear. rear obviously need replacement.

It kinda sucks because the previous owner did not machine the rotors when replacing the pads. :WTF:

Attachments

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats pretty good, I priced hubs at like $100 on Rock Auto for Timken parts. So where did you get the parts? Are they OEM chevy parts or what brand are they.
amazon. for the rotors and ceramic brake pads
ebay fo the hub

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
What brand hub?

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Personally I would have gone with Timken or a Moog hub. But, I just don't trust ebay either. But, either way the new hub should outlast other major components.

Did you get the full parts list installed yet? Paying someone else, or no? Make sure to torque the front axle nut to correct spec and use loctite/thread locker on all bolts/nuts. A loose or incorrect torque on the axle nut will likely require replacing the hub soon after. The hub mount bolts are not near as necessary of torquing but, if you have the capability, I would do so as well.

My buddy has replaced many hubs and just used an impact on the mounting bolts and torqued the axle nut down with no problems. The axle nut is key to have on or near spec though.

Edit: While doing your rotors, I would suggest lubing up the caliper guide pins, replacing or cleaning and lubing pad guides(usually included with pads), and lubing the piston that contacts the pad. All good preventative measures and will reduce brake noise for sure.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have a budget of $200 (MAX $300 budget.) for replacement Brakes & rotors parts..

I do want to have the parts on hand since I will be getting some other work done. I can get it all done at the same time. rotors and breaks have to be 100%compatible with OE so I do not have to put out extra money later on for calipers etc.... I also need abs sensor, so a replacement front HUB would be nice also.

I have only $300 in my pocket right now to spend.

OE parts come in at $230 Including free shipping and sales tax. For 2 Brake pad sets ,1 wheel hub & 4 rotors.
Maybe checkout this forum thread from member anonymous. He needs the exact same work done on his car.
Sounds a few bucks cheaper depending on what you do with the hub. :idea:

http://www.impalaforums.com/7th-gen-suspension/340558-impala-rolls-away-with-ebrake-2.html

excerpt:
"I'll get a 2nd and 3rd opinion on that. If there is a issue I get both the rear and front done and the front passenger wheel hub replaced. (the ABS issue.)

I going to get the parts my self so I do not get burned on the over priced brakes .

1x ACDelco 14D818CH Advantage Front Ceramic Disc Brake Pad Set
1x ACDelco 14D698C Advantage Rear Ceramic Disc Brake Pad Set
2x ACDelco 18A813A Advantage Front Brake Rotor
2x ACDelco 18A811A Advantage Rear Brake Rotor

Subtotal: $153.99 I may look for used wheel hub to save on the cost I want to know if these are the correct parts before I buy them?"

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
hubs ,abs, transmission, catalytic converter and brakes are a pretty common problems with this car.

going to hold off buying anything to avoid rust.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yeah but anonymous was a fool that wanted to buy used parts and nickle.and dime. This guy.wants new stuff ha
I'd bet a hundred bucks this is actually anonymous. Joined as soon as anonymous was banned, has the same car, same taillight covers, is in California dusty area, quotes computer mpg with 91 octane, recommended suing neighbors over a cat pissing on rims (get some DNA on that!) same car problems to the TEE , etc. etc. etc.

I'm not trying to stir up trouble, just saying he blasted me as well as many others when good advice was offered.

So here it is. If I am wrong... God help us all, there are two like him!!!

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
How about weather this is Anonymous or not, we keep down all of the BS and enjoy the forum. I know Me, Mixed, Ej, jim1405 and many others offered advice that wasn't taken and arguing began. Lets not do that again. If you do not like the advice others have to give, leave it alone. Keep the peace :beer:

Reactions: kingnutin
1 - 20 of 27 Posts