Impala Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my actuator and it still clicks, maybe even more now.

My 07 LTZ had an issue where the actuator would start clicking every time i would recirculate the ac or turn the car off. I dropped down the glove box and put my hand on both actuators to figure out which one was bad. The one on the right was the culprit. So i took it out and the clicking stopped.

I went down to the local autozone and got a replacement part, installed it and the clicking came back instantly.

Any ideas thanks in advance

·
Divine Autosound
2,168 Posts
The one attached to the big flapper? There are three on the right hand side. Two up next to the center console, and one way back by the air inlet.

·
Divine Autosound
2,168 Posts
Yes. Try putting your ac on outside air, and then switch from top vent to floor and then defrost. It is possible that you had two actuators that were bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the actuator out right now I switched through all settings and no clicking at all. I can plug the actuator in let it sit on the open glove box and it does not make a sound. But when it is connected and installed to its original location the clicking starts again. This is the same for the new and old actuator.

·
Divine Autosound
2,168 Posts
The one you got is bad then. I work at autozone, and there are some things from there I wouldn't trust, such as dorman window and door components (I group that in with those.) take it back to them (don't tell them you installed it, they don't like to take back electronic components) and get a factory unit from the dealer. For something like that, I will only trust factory, even though they have their own troubles, as you can see from the factory part failing. But I would rather take my chances with factory than something from dorman in that category.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem. I open the actuator and I saw that it is broken.. the clicking sound is produced for the engine teeth trying to move others teeth... I think that the problem is that actuator is still pushing when the door is already at finish position. Probably the actuator will broken again =(. I'm trying to find the sensor that says to the actuator that not move more, but I don't find them... What do you think, it make sense?

Thanks,

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem. I open the actuator and I saw that it was broken.. the clicking sound is produced for the engine teeth trying to move others teeth... I think that the problem is that actuator is still pushing when the door is already at finish position. Probably the actuator will be broken again =(. I'm trying to find the sensor that says to the actuator that finish the movement, but I don't know where is... What do you think, it make sense?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem. I open the actuator and I saw that it was broken.. the clicking sound is produced for the engine teeth trying to move others teeth... I think that the problem is that actuator is still pushing when the door is already at finish position. Probably the actuator will be broken again =(. I'm trying to find the sensor that says to the actuator that finish the movement, but I don't know where is... What do you think, it make sense?

Thanks,
I have the same problem, I plugged in a new actuator, and before I reinstalled it in the car, I tried to move the dial on the dash. The actuator turned almost 3 full turns. The flap in the car should only have to move about 3/4 of a turn. I did not reinstall, because if it bottoms out and keeps trying to turn, the new actuator will break. Does anyone know if there is a sensor to stop the actuator from turning? Or is this a problem with the computer, or heater head control unit? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hey guys. Disconnect the battery before you install. The actuators go through a self learn thing when you reconnect the battery. That's when it learns when stop is STOP.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I replaced all of my 2007 Impala LTZ actuators 2 years ago (well, 3 of the ones in the dash.)
Last year the one inside and on the left of the glove box started clicking.
(I felt of the dash area as it was clicking, and that was the only area where I felt the clicking.)
Today, I replaced the left glove box actuator. Turned the car on and off and....CLICK, CLICK, CLICK.
I removed the actuator and the clicking continued.
Isn't there a thing just behind this actuator that could be the clicking culprit?
Frustrated with the clicking. Currently have it electrically unplugged.
--Bruno1171

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I replaced all of my 2007 Impala LTZ actuators 2 years ago (well, 3 of the ones in the dash.)
Last year the one inside and on the left of the glove box started clicking.
(I felt of the dash area as it was clicking, and that was the only area where I felt the clicking.)
Today, I replaced the left glove box actuator. Turned the car on and off and....CLICK, CLICK, CLICK.
I removed the actuator and the clicking continued.
Isn't there a thing just behind this actuator that could be the clicking culprit?
Frustrated with the clicking. Currently have it electrically unplugged.
--Bruno1171
There are three on the passenger side. The hot/cold blend door actuator is above the right side of the hump, exactly opposite the one on the driver's side. The recirc actuator is behind the right side of the glove box. These 3 (2 hot/colds and 1 recirc) are all the same part number. The 3rd one on the p-side is at the left end of the glove box, somewhat above the hot/cold actuator on that side. It's the mode actuator (aka vent selector), and is a different type than the other 3.

Sound propagates very well thru the plastic in the HVAC system, so it can be difficult pinpointing the position.

You might try turning the key to ON, and turning the heat on, and then play with the controls (vent selector, hot/cold knobs, and recirc button) and see if you can affect the clicking. That may help you pinpoint the culprit.

Doug

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks, Doug!!
If the mode actuator (aka vent selector), malfunctions does it click or just stop working?
Also, after reading some other responses (on another forum) I think I may need to adjust/calibrate the one I just replaced. I'm due for an inspection, so I think I'll get some input from my garage guy (who is not a gouger) and see what he thinks. (Then maybe fix it myself. 🤣)
~Bruno1171

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
If the mode actuator (aka vent selector), malfunctions does it click or just stop working?
Good question. I'm not sure. But if the air comes out where you set the control - dash, defrost, feet - then I would assume it's working.

Also, after reading some other responses (on another forum) I think I may need to adjust/calibrate the one I just replaced.
I'm pretty sure the HVAC computer is self calibrating. It monitors the current going to the actuator, and sees it spike when the actuator stalls at its travel limits. It will re-learn the new actuator on its own. For sure, I never had to cal any of the ones I replaced on my 07 Impala or 07 Pontiac G6.

Doug

1 - 18 of 18 Posts