Impala Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Drinks Gasoline
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1995 Impala SS. Car is starting to get that telltale sign that the front seal on the AC compressor is failing, the radial spray pattern in line with the belts showing up on the sides and underside of the hood in the engine bay.

Mileage is very low, likely the seal died from lack of use sitting for the better part of 20 years. When I bought the car the system was mostly discharged but had a little pressure, I'm thinking that just the seal is bad.

So, I'm considering repairing it, rather than replacing it. My hope is that I can do it on-car since there's a lot of room up front there. I'm a little unsure of what compressor the car has though, and the auto parts store websites give me both "H6" and "HD6" as possible types.

I expect that if I change the seal and o-ring that I can just vacuum the system out and refill. Humidity is really, really low here, so it shouldn't be hard to avoid contaminating the system.

Anyone have any tips?

·
Drinks Gasoline
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Okay, dug out the FSM, they say it's doable on-car. There are a few special tools:

J 23128-A Seal Remover and Installer
J 9553-01 O-Ring Remover
J 34614 Shaft Seal Protector
J 33011 O-Ring Installer
J 5403 Snap Ring Pliers

I have Snap Ring Pliers and I think that I can just carefully use a pick as an O-Ring Remover. Beyond the dealership, anyone know a good source for the other tools?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts