Impala Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a ? from anyone who has removed a 3-gauge cluster from their 2004 or equiv.

First, it appears my speedo motor is dying, and needs the motor replaced, or the cluster replaced (the past couple of days, the needle has been reading low, dead, erratic, or correct), and I've had to use my GPS to know how fast I'm driving.

I would like to know, from someone who has removed their cluster from an '04, if, you recall after removal...in a vehicle with a 3-gauge cluster, are their connections behind the cluster for connecting either a 4- or 6-gauge cluster?

If I'm going to remove the cluster, and if I can replace and make all connections with a 4- or 6-gauge, I think I would like to have the extra instruments, otherwise, if the connections are not there, then I would just replace the stepper motor.

Am I correct in thinking that all harnesses behind the clusters have all the necessary connections, even if the instrumentation is not present, or are there only the correct amount of connections to match the number of instruments on the cluster when the vehicle was built?

Or, in a 3-gauge vehicle, does there need to be extra programming from the ECU (or a different ECU altogether), etc to even accomodate the other instruments? Am I asking / wanting to do something that is impossible for my current 3-gauge cluster dash?

Thank you to all who have the knowledge / experience to answer the above.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
The harness coming up to the 3 gauge is running all the wires required for a 4 gauge and everything but oil pressure (I believe) for a 6 gauge.

I currently have a 4 gauge in mine. I replaced my 3 gauge with it. It's all a quick plug and play. Only concern (wasn't for me) is your odometer will read the replacement cluster so make note of your original mileage before removing your stock cluster.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts