Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i'm looking to repaint my Impala. It is currently the dark Metallic grey that GM offered on the car in 2012, and i would really like it to be a blue. any suggestions on if it would be worth it to do a color change or should i just repaint it the orginal dark metallic grey that it is? pics of my car are in my garage tab. let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
so i'm looking to repaint my Impala. It is currently the dark Metallic grey that GM offered on the car in 2012, and i would really like it to be a blue. any suggestions on if it would be worth it to do a color change or should i just repaint it the orginal dark metallic grey that it is? pics of my car are in my garage tab. let me know your thoughts.
With a standard, full paint job, the trim pieces are removed or masked, and only the exterior surface is painted.

If you change color, and don't want your car to look like an ex-cop-car-cum-taxi, the door jambs and faces also need to be sanded and painted. And that requires lots more labor - it's tedious and there is a lot more masking.

I guess at minimum you're looking at 2x the cost for a color change.

Doug

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
At my body shop, we start at $5000 for a standard repaint in the same color. Double it for a color change. It's a ton of work. Definitely cheaper to find one in the color or similar to the color you want.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Same color is your best bet. Door Jams, engine bay & trunk underside & water channels with a diff color, whew!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts