Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've got a 2007 Impala LTZ with the 3.9L. I've looked all over this site and google trying to find some info on what is in my way to remove the valve covers to replace the gaskets. The front one has two coolant lines across it and an engine mount that looks like it will make the removal tight. The rear cover has a lot more in the way. Does anyone have a walkthrough on this process or have any tips? I'm not even that familiar with coolant lines; the one is just a top return with very little fluid in it, but the other one looks like it will be full. Can I just catch the drippings and burp the lines when I hook it back up, or will I trap air in there? I'd really appreciate any help you can get, I'm going to try to do at least the front tomorrow night.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
Good Luck.
I have looked at mine and the front would be not too bad but the rear would however be a huge PITA. Yeah you will have to drain the cooling system, or at least drain it to the bottom of those hoses and remove them. ( there is a refill and air bleed thread on here someplace) The motor mount can be removed as well, or at least loosened to allow the cover to come off. Just support that end of the engine with a jack with a piece of 2X4 or something on it. I have nothing to suggest how to do the rear cover though. But,,,,,,,,,, go to the bank and get 100.00 in ones and remove the lid from the swear jar and keep it close by.
Again
Good Luck

Edit
Just looking at your photo again and something you may want to do when you re-assemble is to add a couple pieces of that flexible plastic covering to the other two plug wires. The cover kind of presses on them and the vibration from the engine etc will eventually start to abrade the wire and perhaps cause a misfire under load.
Just a thought that's all

P

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, i'll definitely need a little luck and those 100 $1s! I'll let that bottom hose drain whatever it wants to out and find that bleed thread on here for starting it back up. Thanks for the idea on those plug wires, I never thought about that, but I've got some of that tubing at home so I'll get it on there while it's easy to get to.

The back looks like the coil pack and the alternator will be in my way, but does anybody know what else I'm not thinking of? I might do a walkthrough for this while I'm going... I always take pictures during teardown to assist with putting it back together, so it wouldn't be that much more trouble.

·
Registered
655 Posts
you will need to remove the coolant cross-over pipe, so make sure to get the two gaskets for that, and the coil packs to gain access to the rear/right valve cover. As for the front/left valve cover you will need to remove the heater inlet and outlet hoses/pipes that run in front of the cover, and the left engine mount strut bracket and you may have to reposition or remove the oil dipstick tube.

·
Registered
90 Posts
That's a 3.9? It looks just like my 3.5. And good luck sir with the gaskets... Have you tried the restorer yet? Just a cheaper hold off to gasket replacement AND it sometimes works surprisingly

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tip Bart77; after you mentioned the coolant crossover, I looked at the online Autozone repair information (didn't think about that before) about the procedure and it mentioned the crossover pipe as well.
And yes zerominak, that's a 3.9... it has the plastic cover and the oil neck removed and it's filthy, but otherwise that's how they all should look. I didn't try any restorer; I don't know much about them and these gaskets shouldn't be too hard. I'm anxious to get a peek inside the engine to get a sense for the oil buildup. My plan is to do the front tonight and reevaluate my leak situation over the next couple of days.

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
This is a 3 yr old thread so not sure jbman is still around. Maybe try pm to him and ask.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts