Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what are yalls suggestions. I'm not using gas. But I've heard goof off works really well along with B12 carb cleaner.

·
$ILLK
155 Posts
So what are yalls suggestions. I'm not using gas. But I've heard goof off works really well along with B12 carb cleaner.
I haven't tried anything else, but using gas works really well. That's what I used to take
the nightshades off of my headlights. I would like to know if you find a better alternative. Thinking of redoing my tail lights this spring.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll let you know later on today Im gonna try a goof off. I've seen carb cleaner work but people say it could damage the plastic

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm trying to take the tint off the back panel how do u think it would take? I just need somethin quick so I can retint it

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I wouldn't use B12, that stuff has a very good chance of melting the plastic.

·
The F*** Killer
1,592 Posts
^ Pics?

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I ran into the same issue when I done mine. Didn't darken up untill it started to dry, so I put on 6 coats. :giggle: GOOF OFF worked fine and redone with 3 coats. :eek:k3:

·
Storm Trooper Ralf
4,334 Posts
U can use carb cleaner on it no prob. I put four coats on mine, didnt like it, spray carb cleaner and.it all melter off with no damage to the plastic. Re done with two coats and its perfect. But i did mine with actual clear coat and black the second time, the first time was night shades.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Pics Ralf?

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I think I am going to remove mine come summer time and try out rustoleum's lens tint or maybe just black spray paint.

Mixed: What brand paint did you use? Krylon?

·
Storm Trooper Ralf
4,334 Posts
No i used actual automotive paint in a.paint gun haha i used the duplicolor paint shop series since its pre mixed and has all the reducers and hardeners in it. One quart of clear and about.half and ounce of black and layer untill satisfaction. Imo it looks really factory and way cleaner than the small spray pattern that the night shades offers. And all it takes is two passes. Not ten like the night shades.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
No i used actual automotive paint in a.paint gun haha i used the duplicolor paint shop series since its pre mixed and has all the reducers and hardeners in it. One quart of clear and about.half and ounce of black and layer untill satisfaction. Imo it looks really factory and way cleaner than the small spray pattern that the night shades offers. And all it takes is two passes. Not ten like the night shades.
Ahh gotcha. I did 5-6 coats of nightshades and got a pretty decent outcome but, still not "really" satisfied. I guess I am just picky. Paint would look much better esp, coming out of a gun that you can control. :eek:k3: But, I don't have that option. no hvlp sprayer :bang: I have some spotting but, that is likely do to the clear coat I did. Clear coat is a B!tch out of the rattle can. I did do plenty of wet sanding both before the paint, clear, and before the polishing.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Pics g25? I did 6 coats and mine were 99% blacked out atleast. Way too dark, lost almost all of its transparency. Had to redo.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts