Impala Forums banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:
I am trying to get to the convertible motor for some maintenance. I understand that the rear seat has to be removed to get to the top motor. Bottom seat, no problem. The back of the seat is another issue. Is there some latch that I do not know about? The seat back moves some but I feel like I am going to wreck something if I continue forcing it. Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I've never worked on a '58 Impala, but I would think there would be 2 bolts at the bottom of the backrest, one on each side. After removing the bolts, did you try pushing the backrest up? There should be some kind of a lip on the back of the seat at the top, that hods it to the body.

·
Registered
475 Posts
With the bottom seat out of the car, they should be visible. Below the bottom of the seat back, either a flat metal bracket, or a piece of heavy gauge wire like the seat springs are made of, with a bolt going through to the body of the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
With the bottom seat out of the car, they should be visible. Below the bottom of the seat back, either a flat metal bracket, or a piece of heavy gauge wire like the seat springs are made of, with a bolt going through to the body of the car.
I have a 1958 Impala that I need to remove the back seat with no luck . The seat itself came right out but the back is a different story . There is no bolts but two hooks that are pointing up . That means that the back should lift up to release but the rear speaker and the back window shelf and chrome will not allow the back to be raised . HELP !!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts