Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking everywhere online, but I am unable to find how to remove the stereo. I want to replace it an aftermarket one or just remove it to get a look at what needs to be replaced in the back. Of course I do not want to damage any of the dash, so does anyone know how to take it out properly?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Hi: If i can remember the radio knobs pull straight off and behind the you should see the nut that is on each shaft. A deep socket will reach over the shaft and take the nuts and washers off.
I think that you can reach up behind the dash , there is a bracket from the lower part of the dash to the back of the radio that holds it in place, there is a nut on the back of the radio the will have to be backed off.
Then the speaker / power plug has to be unpluged as well as the antenna plug. The radio then is removed by backing it into the dash and out by the gas pedal.
I have to say it has been 25 + years since i pulled a radio so i may have missed a step in the write up. But should be close enough to get it out.
here is a link Vintage Auto Radio Services

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot! Would have never guessed the knobs would be hiding those nuts. That helps a lot, thanks again!

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Check lmc truck online catalog for a 75 Chevy pickup radio. Idk if anybody sells aftermarket headunits that appear factory for the Chevy cars but I know lmc does for the pickups. I wouldn't think it would be a different radio. They have cd players with mp3 that will have all of the hookups for amps and such, but still appear factory.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts