Impala Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My remote for my keyless entry has recently started going haywire since i did that trick with the tin foil bits in my remote there is a youtube video on it, look it up. The battery is new and works but now my car will lock/unlock if i gently press the button or at random times the trunk will open without me pressing the trunk button. I don't want to hassle with a dealer for a $200 dollar replacement. I'd rather try fixing the remote itself. I even took the tin foil out and it still doesn't want to function. Until then i have only the ignition key to get in.. *sigh*

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
My remote for my keyless entry has recently started going haywire since i did that trick with the tin foil bits in my remote there is a youtube video on it, look it up. The battery is new and works but now my car will lock/unlock if i gently press the button or at random times the trunk will open without me pressing the trunk button. I don't want to hassle with a dealer for a $200 dollar replacement. I'd rather try fixing the remote itself. I even took the tin foil out and it still doesn't want to function. Until then i have only the ignition key to get in.. *sigh*

Ah - the tin foil and YouTube Internet repair.........

Year, make and model would be helpful.

Does your second remote work?

I bought a new remote from the dealer for my 8th generation Impala and also for my 9th generation Impala. Both were under $50. I also bought one from the dealer for a relative’s 7th generation and it was inexpensive too.

How did you determine that it would cost $200?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for not posting sooner, its a 2008 impala LTZ. I only have one remote that cane with the car. I know that it'd cost $200 bucks from the dealer because that's what I was quoted with my last car BUT it may be cheaper maybe $100 bucks or so. I ended up taking the remote apart again and redoing the tin foil bits and tested it and all works well. Such an iffy thing to repair. I may just get another remote for it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Err...I am just going from memory here, but wasn't the issue with the pad on the buttons? Not the electronics of the remote, but the case of the remote? I vaguely remember having the same issue and just buying a new remote case and it came with a new rubber insert (what the buttons are) and it solved the issue that the tin foil was supposed to work for. I could be remembering it completely wrong though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Err...I am just going from memory here, but wasn't the issue with the pad on the buttons? Not the electronics of the remote, but the case of the remote? I vaguely remember having the same issue and just buying a new remote case and it came with a new rubber insert (what the buttons are) and it solved the issue that the tin foil was supposed to work for. I could be remembering it completely wrong though.
It was the pad itself. The contacts are clean and the battery is new so if I could find a new rubber key pad that'd be great!

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
When I first got my 06 the remote start worked and then one day it didn’t. That day when I started my car the check engine light was on. I have a warranty and when I brought it to the dealer they said that the remote start is disabled whenever there is a check engine light. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
When I first got my 06 the remote start worked and then one day it didn’t. That day when I started my car the check engine light was on. I have a warranty and when I brought it to the dealer they said that the remote start is disabled whenever there is a check engine light. Hope this helps!
You are correct on the remote start not working when a check engine light is present for the factory remote start systems. the aftermarket system I had installed doesn't seem to care (check engine light for emissions didn't bother it for months, or an air bag light). the wife's factory remote start didn't like the check engine light she had either.

·
Super Moderator
10,949 Posts
I got the ones Ruben showed from Amazon and followed the "reprograming" thing within the DIC and they work just fine.
Cant recall what I paid for them as I had to go through Amazon.ca, but if IRC they were less than 100.00 for the pair of them. Came with batteries in them as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a pair on Amazon. Comes with instructions. You can program one all by yourself. If you want to have more than one working, then you need to find someone with a scanner that will program them. With my 09, I could program up to 4 of them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My remote for my keyless entry has recently started going haywire since i did that trick with the tin foil bits in my remote there is a youtube video on it, look it up. The battery is new and works but now my car will lock/unlock if i gently press the button or at random times the trunk will open without me pressing the trunk button. I don't want to hassle with a dealer for a $200 dollar replacement. I'd rather try fixing the remote itself. I even took the tin foil out and it still doesn't want to function. Until then i have only the ignition key to get in.. sigh
What is the part on the vehicle that controls the remote to transmit ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
My remote for my keyless entry has recently started going haywire since i did that trick with the tin foil bits in my remote there is a youtube video on it, look it up. The battery is new and works but now my car will lock/unlock if i gently press the button or at random times the trunk will open without me pressing the trunk button. I don't want to hassle with a dealer for a $200 dollar replacement. I'd rather try fixing the remote itself. I even took the tin foil out and it still doesn't want to function. Until then i have only the ignition key to get in.. sigh
I bought 4 of them from Amazon for $24.95, and had a friend that had a scanner program all 4 of them. They work great. If you only need one, you can program one of them yourself with their easy instructions, and when that one wears out, you can program another one, until all four are used up and reorder. I am still on the first one after 3 years and going strong.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts