Impala Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe some one can help me out here. And thank in advance for the help! Ok I have a 2007 SS 5.3 can I run regular gas or will I have to have the ECU reprogramed for a lower octane???

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Unless the fuel door or some where on the dash says "Premium Only" then 87 octane fuel should be fine. I at the moment am not aware of the SS requiring premium fuel.

·
The Unscrupulous Lt. Colonel
1,077 Posts
I saw a guy today in a 06-07 SS monte carlo dumping regular in his tank. Should be just fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Even if it said "premium fuel only" it isn't required. Your PCM has octane tables for each octane. Once it senses a change in combustion the PCM adjusts for it.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Maybe some one can help me out here. And thank in advance for the help! Ok I have a 2007 SS 5.3 can I run regular gas or will I have to have the ECU reprogramed for a lower octane???
I am showing that for the 2007 Impala SS with the 5.3L, V-8 engine premium fuel is recommended but not required. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
You will get better gas mileage if you use at least 89 octane. 87 will reduce gas mileage and performance, and you wont notice any $ saved as a result.

In terms of it being good for the engine, you wont hurt a thing. As with most late engines, the timing will automatically adjust to the fuel you put in.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
You will get better gas mileage if you use at least 89 octane. 87 will reduce gas mileage and performance, and you wont notice any $ saved as a result.

In terms of it being good for the engine, you wont hurt a thing. As with most late engines, the timing will automatically adjust to the fuel you put in.
I don't think they adjust that much, which is why guy's get a tune for 93, so that the tuner can adjust the timing tables in the PCM.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
^All I was saying is that you arent going to damage the engine because there IS electronic adjustment to the timing... whether its a lot or a little the bottom line is you can use 87 without hurting anything, youll just see poorer performance.

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
Which begs the question: Why get the LS4 if you don't care (a lot) about performance?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well thank you all for the input....I did a little experiment of my own and found that the 5.3 runs pretty good on regular gas but I did feel a little less acceleration punch and like what was said above the mileage did come down a little. but all an all I found no problem in running regular gas. I have though went to running 89 octane, I get the best of both worlds I get the acceleration punch and the gas mileage is pretty good. we went from Riverside to the San diego Zoo which is 80 or so miles and I got just at 28mpg and if any one that live in california will tell you on the I-15 is california's Autobond so driving the speed limit was out. This was at 75-80 mph with the cruse on most of the way.....I love this car!!!!:eek:k3:

·
Banned
574 Posts
The Federal Trade Commission has stated that higher octane fuel will not increase fuel economy or performance in an engine that doesn't require it.

Thanks to Obama-nation, gas is expensive enough. Don't waste your money.

·
Banned
574 Posts
Lower octane fuel can actually provide a mild fuel economy increase as it has more Btu's in it than higher octane fuels do. Search the Federal Trade Commission's website about this as they have an article on this.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
What kind of Compression are you running on your 5.3?
Octane works with your compression ratio to stop Detonation and Preignition. Octane rating does not relate to the energy content of the fuel. It is only a measure of the fuel's tendency to burn in a controlled manner, rather than exploding in an uncontrolled manner.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
^Exactly, and since the manual recommends 89 or higher, I would imagine that said octane is what is suitable for the compression in the 5.3.

I dont know why 1969 is so sure the SS will get better mileage with 87, thats actually kind of ridiculous. My Toyota Camry is a good example of a car that got better mileage with 87... the SS suffered with 87... Its not rocket science... sorta

1 - 15 of 15 Posts