Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sent in a beat up old carb to a carb rebuild company. I was planning on exchanging it if the refurb was too high, and it sounds like that's going to be the case. This is an old 1963 Belair with the 283 V8. The carb is a Rochester 2GC.

The carb guy quoted about $330 to exchange my carb for one of his remanufactured ones. He also quoted about $520 for a never-been-used OEM replacement.

I understand that these carbs are getting harder and harder to find, but are both of these sane? The $330 seems to be reasonable, from me calling around, but the $520 sounds a bit much.

I want to keep a "like original" look, but I'm not caught up on it being 100% original. Do any of you have any wisdom or advice for me in this situation? I'd love to hear!

·
Super Moderator
10,792 Posts
Sounds a bit rich to me when a 600 cmf Holly 4 barrel can be had for $300

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I'm going to probably give in and go Holley or Edelbrock. Though, I admit that I have no idea how that would work as far as finding a new intake manifold and getting the fuel and throttle linkages hooked up.

·
Super Moderator
10,792 Posts
I don't know how knolagable your local GM service center is , but the guys at mine are up on that kind of stuff , just ask them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I got another call back, the carb guy found a Carter carb (a 2-barrel WGD) that he says I could use with my existing intake, throttle linkages, and choke riser. The only difference is I'd need to route the fuel line differently.

Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with these Carter carbs, and does this sound right?

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Used to have carter carb on my 383 fury ran good very little problem. Like all things it is in the setup.
Also had a 2 barrel carter on my 1974, 350 chevy truck ran better than the stock setup and got better mileage.
Good luck

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Used to have carter carb on my 383 fury ran good very little problem. Like all things it is in the setup.
Also had a 2 barrel carter on my 1974, 350 chevy truck ran better than the stock setup and got better mileage.
Good luck
Thanks, good to know!

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
Whats wrong with your Rochester ?

I would bet there is still a re-build kit for those avail someplace.

In fact here is one place here :
Rochester 2G Carburetor Rebuild Kits - Carburetor Parts for Rochester Quadrajet, 4G, 2G, Mercarb & Carter AFB, AVS, Thermo-Quad Carburetors

You could get a kit for around $30.00 and just take your time and do it yourself.
As I recall they came with instructions on how to do and the settings to make inside, which, were pretty minimal. Float level and that was pretty much it. If you get the mechanical choke kit then setting the spring tension on that is not an issue.

Just be careful when you take apart as there are tiny balls and check valves inside, but if your careful you will see where they all go. On a positive note that carburetor was one of the simplest ones to overhaul.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The linkages are bent a good bit, and all sorts of fiddling hasn't made it much better. The bridge at the top of the air intake (where you'd normally screw the air filter in) is completely missing, and the guy before me hacked the carb up a bit to macguyver a replacement that gets in the way of the choke flaps. The choke housing's inlet is completely stripped, and I've not had any luck finding a replacement. The whole carb looks like it's been thrown around some, too.

It's a special kind of beat up and has been rebuilt in the last 12 months.

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
Gotcha !

The Carter is a good choice then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts