Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to post this so you were all aware of a potential Throttle body issue GM is having with the 5.3 motor.
Drove through about 100 miles of slush in the highway a couple weeks ago, and suddenly my 08 Impala SS with the 5.3 v8 went into limp mode. The messages on the dash were that the Stability control needed to be serviced, and reduced engine power.
The thing would barely go 30. Shut it off for a minute, it started up and ran normally but the check engine light was now on.
It was late so we spent the night in a small town that did have a GM Dealership.
The next morning they said they couldn't get to it until the next day, but the mechanic said that they are seeing that exact problem with Suburbans and Tahoes with that motor, and it's a bad throttle body. Corrosion gets into the connections or throttle position sensor, or something like that, and the computer can't read what's going on with the throttle body and throws it into limp mode, and gives the same messages I was getting.
So we drove it home, and it did it 3 more times, each time shutting it off for a minute brought it back running normally.
Anyhow, the GM Dealer at home replaced the throttle body and said they were seeing a number of these doing that. The service manager said her daughter's Tahoe had just done it and they had to replace the TB.
It does seem like since I got it back that the throttle is more responsive that it used to be.
If you do a search on "Reduced Engine Power" you'll get a lot of hits about it.
So tuck that away for future reference.
In my case it was all covered under warranty and they paid for a rental car while waiting for a throttle body to arrive.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Glad you got it taken care of, thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 Impala Throttle Body problem

Well, I just bought a 2011 Impala a month ago with 37,000 miles on it (just out of the bumper-to-bumper warranty). I had the same problem with the stabilitrak and traction control lights coming on and reduced power. So, I took it to the dealership this morning, got a call and it's the throttle body, so they say. $600 to replace it! A year old GM car and it just cost me another $600. Nedless to say, I am not a happy camper. I have owned several GM vehicles over the years and decided to give them another shot......big mistake. Next time I will buy something else. I don't understand why this is not covered under the powertrain warranty.:WTF:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I can't see how it wouldn't be covered under powertrain, and even if it wasn't, 1k miles out of bumper-to-bumper shouldn't matter that much. I wouldn't even bother going back to that dealer, talk to the customer service rep on the forum here, she can help you find another dealer and get things rolling. Thats bullshit.

·
The Unscrupulous Lt. Colonel
1,077 Posts
Well shit, this basically answers my question on behalf on my brother in law 07 impala. His CEL just came on a few days ago, he had it scanned and it came out to be the TB... Said the car acted like it wanted to cut off. So i guess i will break the bad news to him. But hey, what can i say. He is grown, he can work to get the shit fixed.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
talk to the customer service rep on the forum here, she can help you find another dealer and get things rolling.
King Nutin is correct! I would be more than happy to put Mphigley in touch with a different dealership.

@Mphigley, I understand your frustration and am very sorry to hear you experienced this. Please send me a direct message with your zip code and the dealership you already visited, and I can provide you with other options.

Best,

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you find your throttle body is bad and the car out of warranty and GM refuses to cover the repair, you could probably save a lot of money by replacing it yourself. I can't imagine it would be that hard.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
The mechanical aspect of it wouldn't be, but since these are drive-by-wire, I'd imagine there is a process to dialing it in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
backfired really loud ...

hey guys i just had the recent same problem with mine i took my ride out to get serviced before winter storage so as i was starting the car it backfired on me like a really loud gun i saw like a blue flash and ppl around the car was kinda like freaked out my engine like blinked three tiime and wentoff i took it to gm and they said impalas dont back fire or misfire but they did say i do need a new throttle body which i would have to pay for it because when i bought the car from aother dealership i had to buy extended warranty from another company and that company said it was a wear and tear and not covered i paid them almost 4000 for this coverage and yet they wont cover it so ive just kept it in the garage im not sure what to do but i was thinking maybe just start adding new performances parts and add the throttle body and chuck the warranty but im still very pissed that they wouldnt cover for the throttle body did anyone ever get this issue fix would there still be a way to get this throttle body replaced under warranty

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Really? I would think it would be plug and play...

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
How can they claim throttle body is a wear and tear item? I'd get a lawyer and get my money back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
there is a small plastic gear linking the electric motor in the throttle body to the throttle plate. The gears wear down, slip and the computer goes into limp mode to protect the engine. This is a chronic problem on several models. The only remedy is to replace the entire throttle body.

2007 Impala LS, 3.5V6, 66k miles

·
Registered
6 Posts
Throttle body failure

there is a small plastic gear linking the electric motor in the throttle body to the throttle plate. The gears wear down, slip and the computer goes into limp mode to protect the engine. This is a chronic problem on several models. The only remedy is to replace the entire throttle body.

2007 Impala LS, 3.5V6, 66k miles

Pontiac « AutoRepairInstructions.com

Attachments

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Still very much gm's fault for making them plastic, of course it will wear out, idiots.

·
Pedal to the Metal
206 Posts
Soo i was driving back home from a long trip. and i pull off to use the bathroom and when i was getting back on, the dash told me service stability control and turned off my TC. soo i pulled back over and turned the car off waited a min and fired it back up and everything was fine. But i never lost power. Anyone know wats going on? its happend a few other times.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
I'm guessing you have a wheel speed sensor going bad.....

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have experienced a small reduction in high speed response in my car lately around 70 to 75 MPH. The car was slower to response to accelerator input than usual at that speed. I have not had the car go into limp mode or anything, but I am wondering if this has anything to do with the problem described int his thread, i.e throttle body problems and TPS sensor not communicating properly with the ECU. The car sat for some time, so I wonder if that could have contributed to the problem. I used Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner in my next tankful of fuel to see if things will improve.

The overall mileage has improved somewhat, I got 23 MPG average yesterday driving mostly at 75 MPH.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts