Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys what's up? This coming weekend I was gonna drain and flush my cooling system and add a 160 degr thermostat.. I was also wanting to redirect the weep hole on the bottom of the WP by drilling and tapping a hole.. Questions is: Would it be easier to remove the balancer pulley to get to this, or just remove the water pump? Also it it normal for a small amount of collant 2 lek out the weep hole? I have noticed any puddle but when I stick my finger under there I get some coolant on it.. Just wondering if I should bite the bullet and go on and replace the water pump and do a tune up while I'm at it and it's easy accesible... Thoughts? Thanks in advance for any and all responses..

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
You should not be finding coolant there like that though it might still be a long time before it actually fails.

I would consider a fresh waterpump and distributor cap and rotor while you have access.

If you feel interruption in the power steering effort at low speeds then that is an indication it is leaking enough to make the belt slip.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice. New water pump it is then. Any idea how to go about drilling and tapping that weep hole with damaging a brand new water pump?

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
I never bothered but grease on the drillbit and keep it as shallow as possible.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so AC Delco part number 252-700 A good one? And with 62k miles on my car, do you think ill need the whole distributor assembly or could I get buy with just a new cap and rotor?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And I'll need the seal installation tool as well? where do I get one? Editted: Nevermind I just bought one.. lol

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Cap and rotor only, the distributor rarely fails despite what many will tell you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I already bought a whole new Delphi distributor for not much more then a cap and rotor would cost, so i'll just rebuild my old one with new cap and rotor and have one for a back up..

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I don't understand how that's possible, but great I guess.

·
Registered
432 Posts
There is or used to be a good write up on the ISSF, using a grease fitting and a small tube to direct the coolant off the Opti and the belt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts