Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Chevy Impala. About a year ago I started having an issue with the battery. Car wouldn’t start, just a ‘click’ and nothing. The inside dash would light up but car wouldn’t start. It would take a jump, and I’d drive around for awhile to recharge it, and I’d have no issues for a few days, then it would happen again. Alternator tested fine. So I gave up and got a new battery, and a few days later, same thing. Took it to the shop, and they couldn’t find anything wrong, anything parasitic, and couldn’t duplicate the problem. Since then everything was fine, until yesterday. Tried to start the car and heard the dreaded click. WTH the battery (Bosch) is less than a year old, AAA came and jumped it, and I drove it for a solid hour. This morning, again would not start. AAA came and had trouble jumping it, but it finally did start. I drove it to where I bought the battery, showed them the receipt, and asked them to check it out. AAA checked the alternator and said it’s fine. Any ideas on why this keeps happening?

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I have a 2014 Chevy Impala. About a year ago I started having an issue with the battery. Car wouldn’t start, just a ‘click’ and nothing. The inside dash would light up but car wouldn’t start. It would take a jump, and I’d drive around for awhile to recharge it, and I’d have no issues for a few days, then it would happen again. Alternator tested fine. So I gave up and got a new battery, and a few days later, same thing. Took it to the shop, and they couldn’t find anything wrong, anything parasitic, and couldn’t duplicate the problem. Since then everything was fine, until yesterday. Tried to start the car and heard the dreaded click. WTH the battery (Bosch) is less than a year old, AAA came and jumped it, and I drove it for a solid hour. This morning, again would not start. AAA came and had trouble jumping it, but it finally did start. I drove it to where I bought the battery, showed them the receipt, and asked them to check it out. AAA checked the alternator and said it’s fine. Any ideas on why this keeps happening?
When it's clicking, we need to determine what's clicking. Presumably, it's the starter solenoid. But that needs to be verified.

Assuming that's the source of the click, we know the CRANK signal is getting thru to the starter. So, after that, I would look at two things: 1) Inspect the wiring to the starter - it may be corrosion on the wire from the battery is making the starter intermittent.

2) if the wiring is good, then it could be the starter solenoid. When the switch is turned to CRANK, the solenoid does two things: it throws out the Bendix gear connecting the starter motor to the flywheel (this is the clicking sound), and it closes a switch which sends power to the starter motor.

The switch contacts can go bad with the result that the Bendix gets thrown, but the starter motor doesn't turn - hence getting only the click and no crank. The behavior can be intermittent such that, by chance, it just happens to work when you replaced the battery.

In short, click with no crank makes me think battery-to-starter wiring and starter solenoid.

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
1,496 Posts

Is your 2014 vehicle the new model Impala, or the Impala Limited (“old” model)? I own a 2014 Impala 2LTZ (new model) and have replaced the original battery. I previously owned 2008, 2011 and 2012 Impala LTZ models (old model).

What did the store that you bought the battery from, and returned it to, say about the battery? Did they test the battery? Did they replace the battery?

You could have a defective battery.

You could also have a poor connection to the battery from the battery cable terminal connectors. Are the cables in good condition? Any accident damage? Are the connectors clean and tight? Can you follow the negative battery cable, and ensure the ground connection is clean and tight?

Do you leave your cell phone charger plugged in when the car is parked? Any other items plugged in that are not disconnected while the vehicle is parked?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts