Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I went and put some stuff in the back of my wagon push the button it worked. Got home and and the button still works but the release switch in the tailgate is not letting go of the rear window. Now that its stuck in place how do you fix this any clues because im clueless about how to get it apart.:mad:

·
Registered
828 Posts
Make sure the tailgate door isn't locked.

There's a lock solenoid that could be bad right on the rear latch...

To access (mine is a '92) the mechanisms that could be bad you remove the plastic cover that's on the inside of the tailgate door. There's retainers along the bottom and side edges that simply pull out. I'm assuming you're year is the same, but I don't know for sure.

Usually you can pull on a corner of it to get it started. Often many of the plastic retainers remain in the door and the best way I've found to get them out is with the claw end of a small hammer.

Trouble is that there's also a row of screws along the top of the plastic cover, and those are under the bottom edge of the tailgate glass... I don't think you'll be able to remove them without opening the window...
Maybe you could get enough access by just removing the retainers on the bottom and sides and bending the panel up.

Another backyard trip is to spray some sort of lubricant (maybe Tri-Flo) in any crack that could possibly get to a sticky part, but that's usually kinda wishfull...

My wild guess is that either something's bent or that the lock solenoid is sticking.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx man for the Info but yar the electric locks are working on the tailgate unless its broke inside from being attached. but ya thats what I was afraid of was the row of screws in the top of it. May have to just take the damage of pulling it out and epoxying it back on.

also had a friend look at it with me we're both think it's the clip that the window latches to the tail gate on that is broke because the tailgate button works and tries to push the window off the door but its acting as though its hung to the tailgate.

but thx for the info dinty

1 - 3 of 3 Posts