Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a reason the rear tires on the 6th Gens tend to be more toward the front of the wheel well, than centered?

At first I thought it was just my car, but in looking at several people's cars here, I've noticed that they all have it...and was wondering why.

:confused:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
theres another forum on here about that also i was jsut reading i guess it something to do w the old caprices having skirts over the rear wheels u can get a kit that fixes the problem or move the body of your car ive heard

·
Registered
624 Posts
lets not forget too that some rears are shifted to one side or the other hard to tell with skinny tires on but u go to fat ones sometimes u got lip clearance on one side and almost rubs on the other

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, but this isn't from side to side, it's front to back in each rear wheelwell.
On each side of the car, the back tire is closer to the front of the well than the back.
Just idle curiosity on my part, lol

My car is a '94, so it doesn't have the skirts, either...

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
you could have a 93 and the clearance would still be off. The side to side crap usually has to do with curbing pretty hard and almost always creates a damaged axle.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Yeah, but this isn't from side to side, it's front to back in each rear wheelwell.
On each side of the car, the back tire is closer to the front of the well than the back.
Just idle curiosity on my part, lol

My car is a '94, so it doesn't have the skirts, either...
yes theres two concerns here.. the 1st to center the wheel in the well 2nd side to side clearance

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2 Posts
yeah.. GM was lazy after they got rid of the skirts... with the skirt can't tell its offcentered, without you can... there are kits to move it back, some say you need a new long driveshaft, others say you dont..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts