Impala Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All; I have a 96 RM wagon,where can I purchase a rear sway bar for it?
Also thinking about putting on Impala Police rear coils,has anyone ever tried using these type coils that were originally designed for a sedan in a wagon?
ed

·
Super Moderator
3,933 Posts
Do not dive BLINDLY into the police crap is an upgrade thing.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Far as a rear bar aftermarket is the only boltin option. With some fabrication guys have made some junkyard stuff work.

I know Hotchkis offers wagon bars.

Think there are others just not sure of who exactly.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
upgrade suspension

Dwayne J,Thanks for your advice,what I am trying to accomplish is to improve
upon the wishy washy feel of the car when going through corners. I would also like to try and raise the car a bit,so that when its loaded, it wont sag in the tail. So whatever experience you have wagonwise,I would like to here it.
thanks so much, ed

·
Registered
303 Posts
The '91-6 wagons never came with a rear sway bar, but for us junkyard scroungers there are some factory parts that fit. The problem is actually finding them.

The '93(?)-6 D-body Fleetwood with the "limo/commercial" suspension came with an optional rear bar that supposedly fit our wagons. The problem is that there were only a few in the parts system and those were sucked up long, long ago. If you find a wrecked one in the junk yard, then grab the bar. [This is the same car that car with a 7,000 lb. towing rating too.]

The pre-'77 full size GM cars occasionally came with a rear bar and these will supposedly these will fit our wagons. Again, good luck finding one of these in a junk yard and if you do, getting it for a reasonable price.

The biggest concern is that adding too much rear bar with the typically smaller front bar on wagons could make your wagon a little tail happy. [I know this firsthand on a '73 Century wagon that I put a Monte Carlo rear bar on and did a more agressive front end alignment. I pushed it hard on a freeway on ramp and was soon steering with reverse lock.] Any front bar that fits a '91-6 B-body (including the SS and 9C1 bars) will work. The SS and 9C1 bars are only a little bigger. Another factory choice is the larger late-'70s WS6 Trans Am front bar. There was also a corresponding Camaro bar. These were a popular upgrade for the '94-6 SS when the SS first came out. Again, good luck finding one now and getting it for cheap.

On my wagon, I run a late-70's/early-80's Fleetwood rear bar. I got it for almost nothing and it was pretty close fit. I stretched it (slowly using a come-along, two solid trees, and hammering on the bends; no heat). It is a very thin rear bar though. The effect is more subtle; not as drastic as a typical rear bar and therefore not what most people want. Truthfully, if I had to do it again or had to pay any significant $$ for it, I would probably not do it again.

·
Super Moderator
3,933 Posts
Airlift bags plumbed seperate are going to be a MUCH better option for stopping the rear from sagging.

Far as the swaybar, are you looking for something boltin or that may require a little creativity???

·
Registered
303 Posts
Airlift bags plumbed seperate are going to be a MUCH better option for stopping the rear from sagging.
+1, especially the separate lines. I prefer AirLift bags over air shock solutions plus they are easier to install and you have more flexibility in rear shock choices.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have put a Hotchkis rear bar on my 95 wagon and also used the BMR fabrication lower control arms. The stamped steel stock lower control arms will
fail if you put a big sway bar under your wagon and like to corner hard. I also used all Grade 8 HD hardware..

I found a good price on e-bay for the BMR lower control arms.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ford Rear Bar

I had a Crown Vic Rear Bar installed on my 95 wagon with Energy Suspension bushings
think it was $60 for the bar from Troy Ford in MI -- put in part # in Amazon --
Got a WS6 front bar yet to be installed a few months ago .. found by putting parts request thru online parts finder .. It was $60 had it sandblasted and powder coated
The car is out at body shop so might be able to get a pic while it is up on the hoist
of the rear installation..
with a bit of luck I might find the invoice with part # for Crown Vic bar if you need it.
I can not feel any difference in the ride or handling since the mod . Then I seldom corner the car at high speed...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Addco kit

I installed a front/rear kit from ADDCO on my '92 OCC. I got it off the 'bay from NeverEnough Auto, they had the best price.

The rear bar is a little fiddly to put in 'cuz there are no diagrams for drilling mounting holes, if you need them. The whole deal took about two hours with the rear on ramps to make sure everything fits at ride height.

The front was an issue. My car is lowered 3" by springs. When first installed, it rubbed the idler arm and hit the frame. I called ADDCO and they sent me different links and spacers at N/C. I now have a good fit but I still have a rub issue when the wheels are at full lock.

It was definitely worth the effort, but I drive spirited and I notice a real improvement.

I can send pix of the install if you wish.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just updating the Ford rear sway bar issue.

The Ford rear bar that works well on a 91-96 wagon is part #YW7Z 5A772 CA and is still available as of this posting date. I just bought one last week from the Ford dealer and it was $62.32 with no discount. It is a special order item and takes 3-5 days to get from the warehouse.

It's a 22mm bar so buy your bushings according and they take a 2-3/8" long link kit.

ADDCO makes a 1" aftermarket bar as well. It comes with the bushing kit and end links but no clamps. It's #020-650 and runs $160.00 as of 11/01.

Use HD exhaust clamps. I went with Walker as the ends of the saddles are enclosed and welded which translates into 'stronger'. They can pretty much be had or ordered from any legitimate auto parts store.

UMI Performance has a very stout clamp/link package, #2244-275, for F-Bodies that looks pretty buttlet-proof. The links are longer to compensate for the deeper saddle. They still may not be correct for a B-Body but the clamps are monstrous. However, with the shipping, they're over $100.

The Energy Suspension kits are:
22mm bushings: #9.5158($15.99 as of 11/01)
2-3/8" links: #9.8125($15.99 as of 11/01)
Walker HD clamps: #35624($6.56 ea. as of 11/01)

·
Registered
997 Posts
Taken from Navy Lifer, about spring rates.

"The springs for these cars are of 2 basic rates--expressed in "newtons per Meter", a metric conversion of "pounds per inch" of spring compression.

SS & 9C1 sedan, wagon front - suspension RPO 7B3, FE3, FE4 & others
front - 77 n/M (other sources indicate a 440# "rate" for this spring family) - 45% rate increase over 53 n/M springs (below)

The range of 77 n/M springs (same basic wire size, OD, etc) is formed/cut to lengths resulting in various ride heights, SS-specific spring providing the lowest ride/trim height measurements

rear - 27 n/M (SS-spec spring is 154# "rate") - 50% rate increase over 18 n/M springs (below)

other sedans (those not using FE3, FE4, or 7B3 suspension packages--and possibly FE2 & F41)
front - 53 n/M
rear - 18 n/M

wagon
rear - 37 n/M

Compared to the 77 n/M front springs (assume 440# rate), the 7268 (750# springs) are 70% higher rate--significantly more energy to deal with.

·
Registered
997 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
I recently went to the Hotchkis Front sway bar on my 95 Wagon.. I also have the Bilstein shocks I am very happy with how the car turns now with the matched sway bar setup. I used the eighties Caprice Bilstien shocks..

I will be looking at front brake upgrades next..

You don't mention what you are running for a wheel and tire setup..

·
Super Moderator
3,933 Posts
If you can actually get them I believe those are well designed and made. I thought they were pretty hard to get though.

I mean the site starts out with "as of january 2006" and doesn't look like it has been updated since.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts