Impala Forums banner

41 - 60 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks so much for confirming my suspicions about the level of effort and expense involved in performing what is sure to be a temporary repair. Your "get more beer" remarks made me laugh while I was sitting here thinking about the piece of crap sitting in my garage... I told my wife about your experience and she replied "so I guess this means I'll be unlocking the door with a key now, eh?" It's too bad, this 08 is nowhere near as good as the 03 I ran into the ground and handed over to my son. I'm done with GM.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks so much for confirming my suspicions about the level of effort and expense involved in performing what is sure to be a temporary repair. Your "get more beer" remarks made me laugh while I was sitting here thinking about the piece of crap sitting in my garage... I told my wife about your experience and she replied "so I guess this means I'll be unlocking the door with a key now, eh?" It's too bad, this 08 is nowhere near as good as the 03 I ran into the ground and handed over to my son. I'm done with GM.
I am totally done with the Impalas... i am also having 08 impalas.. with 60k miles... and those actuators all of them are failing.. the four doors actuators and now i am having the four air actuators of the A/C... fixing them is costing a fortune.. apx $1000 for the doors and $1000+ for the vent/air actuators... i am really done with GM.. no wonder people are switching to asian and european cars.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just did the drivers rear on a 08 Impala I bought for my daughter. The write up helped, thanks. It took about 2 hours, but it seemed like 10 hours. The part alone was almost $200. My only mistake was not getting the wiring in the correct place and the window got hung up on it. I got to take the door panel off again to fix it, and the OP warns about this problem too. I guess I should have printed out the instructions. There is also a pretty good Youtube video that helps.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Just my 2 cents: Over $500.00 just in parts for locking system is ridiculous in my book. Plus it is good exercise to be unlocking them manually. Mechanical systems are much cheaper and more dependable, IMO.
Good quality power lock systems that work for 15 years without a glitch are even better. :lamende:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Replaced three of the four

The first (rear passenger) went out while the car was still under warranty, so I got a free replacement. The driver rear and the driver front became erratic over a lengthy period...they worked during cold weather, but would not work when the weather warmed up. I ordered those two from GM Direct, cost was almost $300 (shipping and handling $60.00 which is a ripoff), fortunately have a good self employed mechanic who installed them for $100 plus 7% tax. Total cost $400.....which is better than most of you found. But I still think there should have been a recall by GM.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Not a safety issue, so no lawsuit, so they couldn't care less.

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
I'm assuming that this problem still exists on the 2012/2013 Impalas? Not looking forward to that!

I had an '02 Buick LeSabre (which I loved, by the way), but it had *very* poorly designed window regulators. They were known to fail, just like these power door locks. Cost over $500 to fix each one at the dealship - I ended up buying an aftermarket regulator on Ebay which was *much* cheaper and actually fixed the design flaw. Never had the problem again. Sadly, someone hit me head-on on the highway and totaled the car though - although, I didn't have as much as a single scratch on me - and I wasn't even wearing a seatbelt! Miss that car! The ride was soooo nice and smooth.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Seriously, why pay so much.
Take a battery to a junk yard
find another Impala
hook up the battery and press the door lock button.

If it works, pull it and put it in yours, not a permanent fix since they are known to fail from the get go, but its money saved and a temporary fix. You could probably replace 1 10 times before it would equal up to the cost of 1 new one...

Maybe I'm just crazy for not wanting to spend hundreds to keep from reaching to manually unlock my doors... :dunno:

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Seriously, why pay so much.
Take a battery to a junk yard
find another Impala
hook up the battery and press the door lock button.

If it works, pull it and put it in yours, not a permanent fix since they are known to fail from the get go, but its money saved and a temporary fix. You could probably replace 1 10 times before it would equal up to the cost of 1 new one...

Maybe I'm just crazy for not wanting to spend hundreds to keep from reaching to manually unlock my doors... :dunno:
Your crazy for wanting to drag a battery around the junk yard. Fuuuck that.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I would rather carry a battery than spend upwards of a grand for door locks...

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Motorcycle battery wouldn't be so bad to carry around, more than enough juice to test actuators.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Do you even lift brah?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Thought I'd ask...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
What is wrong with this (first link returned from a google search):

2000-2008 Chevrolet Impala Door Lock Actuator - Dorman, Direct fit, New, Rear, Passenger Side - JCWhitney

It looks like they even have a lifetime warranty - for $40!

Or is this the wrong part??
While the text on that page looks like it will work, if you plug in the year and model, it comes back and tells you it won't fit (at least it didn't for 2008 Impala). I think this is just a generic that fits some models and only had Impala in the text because that's what you searched on. Web developers have gotten pretty good and making pages look like a hit based only on your search. Some searches produce hilarious results.

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had LR door done by dealer. $400 including parts. Actuator is not serviced by itself, have to buy whole latch - actuator assembly. I didn't believe them that the part cost $250 so I made them dig it out of the trash barrel and sure enough it looks like a $250 part.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had same problem sometimes windows would work and sometimes nothing. I thought of taking the driver side controls out and playing with the wiring socket. Its pretty easy to pop off just use a scrapper or screw driver with a rag. I unplugged and plugged back in and it would work fine for awhile and then I finally used some electric grease in the socket and all been well for over a year now. you might have to do same for each door. good luck rj

41 - 60 of 140 Posts