Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, had a handful of SMD LED lights from eBay and today was nice out so went bulb swapping.

The two floor lights, the ashtray light and the map lights in the mirror work fine... albeit the map lights are WAY WAY too bright... I am having issues with the rear lights.

Oddly, even when the car is off... there is a light glow of light from the SMD LED. Like a light trickle of power is still going to the light. Maybe was always there, but just now visible because of the lower amount of power needed by LEDs?

I am worried about having a dead battery, though I am sure the power consumption is very very low. Still... any ideas why both rear lights are doing this?

It's this style of SMD LED, and looking at the bulb you can see the smallest pinhead sized dot of light in the centre, which is fairly bright and easily seen when at night.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I would say its the nature of the leds, I have heard this quite a few times with led lights. Power consumption should be very minimal, like leaving a cell phone charger plugged in without the phone, the power indicator led stays on.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
I would say its the nature of the leds, I have heard this quite a few times with led lights. Power consumption should be very minimal, like leaving a cell phone charger plugged in without the phone, the power indicator led stays on.
X2

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Weird... I figured once the car was off, the power was shut off to the light completely.

Other LEDs are fine, though, they're a different type, same wedge style but 5 mini LEDs so, maybe the pin light is on those as well, just much much smaller.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
You'll notice with the factory lighting, that the lights dim out, rather than shutting off. The circuit has a capacitor to do this, the low power usage of the led lights means the capacitor does not drain correctly, so the light will glow for a long while.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ Agreed and nothing to worry about. SMD led's consume way less power than standard bulbs. Standard interior bulbs are around 5 watts and led's are .5watt or less.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts