Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Aleman,

Maestro is asking why you want to get rid of them to help you fix or do what you want to do.

The short answer is that the back O2 sensors are for OBD-II emission checks on the health of the cat only and do not affect the operation of the car otherwise. Many of us with '96 cars have done OBD-I conversions that render the back sensors inoperable. (FYI: Depending on the state and the emission center, you can pass emissions with an OBD-I conversion.)

If you are having a problem with emission tests or a CEL or planning an exhaust without the back set of O2 sensors, there are many options/possbilities. Give us more details.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want to get rid of them because they are do for replacement and I was wondering it was ok to cancel them intead. Plus I dont want to worry about replacing them in the future or getting the catalyst eficiency light.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
The rear O2 Sensor can be a very valuable tool in finding out if the cat is clogged and at the point of starting a car fire. I would not recommend deleting it for this reason alone, the fact it could help prevent a cat caused car fire. For the cats are known for getting too hot and starting a fire under the car which has burned many of the cars to the ground. I have know of a few that the owners just barely got out of the car before it was destroyed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts