Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey i was wondering if anyone had redone their rear end, and if you have any directions for me. I want to learn how to do it for personal gratification. Also what did the impala come with stock ratio?

G

·
Stockers were 3.08. I did 3.73's in mine. A lot of guys like those or 3.42's in these cars. I did not do the gear installs on any of my cars (because I am nervous around trannies and rear ends). I did the axles and bearings at the same time.

The advice I would give is to do the posi unti at the same time. If you go through Clear Image Automotive, they can set you up with the whole package at a decent price. You will also have to have you pcm tuned for speedo correction, etc. If you want to try it yourself, go over and search the ISSForum. They have a TON of info on the subject.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to stick with the 3.08 for the time being hence it is my DD excpet for winter in that case i am going to drive the big ol' Suburban fun in the snow and a great impact on the wallet however i am doing alot of driving so it wont be that bad. I was looking at differential carriers and such on summit and their prices are not that bad either. I love the quality of clear image however their prices are not too high either but i just dropped 1800 for the exhaust from them so i need to go somewhere a little bit cheaper. even though i may be getting it cheaper doesnt mean i am not going to get a bad product. I went through the automotive drivelines class at UTI and i am fairly confident about doing my rear end but sometimes words from a little older wiser person is a good reassurance. I am half tempted to gear up but i do like to jump on it and i just got an exhaust ticket makes me steer away from it plus of the mileage factor. Anyways the darn thing is it still moves with a 3.08 so i am not too concerned. I am thinking of going with either a eaton, rockwell, strange or something else but i want very stiff springs in the diff as to burn tires evenly (chuckle). What i have to remember is endplay is controlled by shims, and backlash is controlled by, pinion depth and the differential carrier endplay right combo will result in quiet operation and a very good long service life. Also i am thinking of getting some moser axles. :tongue:

G

·
I told you before but will say it again... Your parents should be proud. You really got your stuff together with this automotive stuff. There are a lot of good products out there and a lot of good sources too. I use jegs and summit all of the time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea just dont buy jegs optispark the caps burn through after 20000 miles, what is the point into buying a garbage part and wind up having fail after that little mileage. Any good ideas about a carrier, I was personally thinking about getting the eaton 400# and sticking with the 3.08 but with moser axles for strength and durability.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got an Eaton 400 and 3.73 set in my ride. If I had to do it over again, I would probably go with the 3.42s. Don't get me wrong, the 3.73s are great for launch, but murder on your wallet when it comes to fill it up after driving it like you stole it. Plus, the 3.42s are a little better on the highway for mileage. I didn't do the install myself, I don't have the mics for it, plus I've never done one before. I may do the rear end on my old chevy truck, only because I want to install a posi in it. But the truck has a lot more room and it's not a show car. hehehe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts