Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever swap in a iroc camaro rear end? My research says they were a 72.8 inch wide car, and though I couldn't find any immediate specs on the caprice, a tape measurer told me its damn close enough. Also, the irocs all had rear discs did they not? I keep seeing people selling these for 100-200 dollars, and it seems like a really cost effective way to get rear discs and posi. That being said, there is the speedo issue. Does anyone know how to calculate what speedo gear to use? I don't see too many camaros running around with 2.41's... I would have to figure the speedo issue out once again when I finally get a 4L60.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
Well seeing as the rear suspension is different on an f-body the width is the least of your concerns.

The f-body also got a 7.5" axle which is WEAK. That axle came in a lot of b-bodies too but a bone stock LT1 will destroy it on street tires so GM never delivered an LT1 car with a 7.5". I realize you don't have a LT1 car but still this makes the point of how weak that axle is and you should not be looking to put one in the car.

A 9C1 axle or Impala SS axle should get you the discs you want and be an 8.5" and be 3.08 or 3.23 ratio, and so long as your car is 1978 and newer sedan it should be a really direct swap.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't know the 9C1 had discs, definitely useful info about the F-body axles, thanks. I will keep an eye out for a 9C1 axle.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
Just the 94-96 9C1. In stock form the rear discs don't work unless it is a panic stop because GM used a drum proportioning valve. So if you go this route grab the prop valve and then come here and find out about the "stealth bolt mod, and metering mod" which are necessary to make the system work as it should have.

I have had the 9.5" drums, 11" drums and the discs in the same car and in stock form under normal driving the discs are the WORST. Once the prop valve mods are done they work great, but as delivered by GM they don't.

The 9C1 axle is a little narrow to make room for snow chains, cosmetic only but worth noting.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All good info, thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts