Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was swapping rims, putting stock ss rims on my 96, and i see that the rim is soaked and the caliper and roter were soaked as well.... i am guessing that it is a gasket or seal that connects the 2.... does anyone know if that is the problem or no... it is gear oil too... not brake fluid..

Any Suggestions, or any step by step instructions on how to get that seal off?

·
Registered
371 Posts
There is a wheel seal that seals the gear oil into the differential.

I have a similar problem on my '91 Caprice. It turns out a half-assed repair was done using an axle saver bearing. I'm currently saving up enough $ to get a new axle shaft, bearings and a seal.

I haven't done one on a bbody but I did one on my '79 Monte. You have to crack open the rear differential and unclip the axle shaft from the gears. Then you pull the axle shaft out and take the old seal off. Clean it up real nice and perdy and then reinstall with a new seal. But make sure you check the wheel bearings while you're in there. It's a perfect time to put in new ones.

Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Your axle seal is no good if your lucky. What sometimes happens is the axle wears out, which takes out the bearing and seal, and causes the leak. An axle saver bearing is the cheaper and easier way out. Otherwise you should change all 3 parts. If it's just the seal, it's a cheap and easy fix. Just inspect the axles bearing surface for wear.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your axle seal is no good if your lucky. What sometimes happens is the axle wears out, which takes out the bearing and seal, and causes the leak. An axle saver bearing is the cheaper and easier way out. Otherwise you should change all 3 parts. If it's just the seal, it's a cheap and easy fix. Just inspect the axles bearing surface for wear.
Thanks man... i will have my mechanic check it over with me at my house... so you are saying that the axle and the bearing also can be bad? I also do hear a kinda grinding noise coming out my rear when i get on it from a stop. What u think that is?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Thanks man... i will have my mechanic check it over with me at my house... so you are saying that the axle and the bearing also can be bad? I also do hear a kinda grinding noise coming out my rear when i get on it from a stop. What u think that is?
The axle shaft may be too worn for the seal to work properly yes. An axle saver bearing may work but it may not depending on how worn the shaft is.

The noise might be your gears grinding due to a lack of rear end grease. Or it may be a u-joint failing.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
ALSO u have to think about who u purchased the car from.... these cars are very tempting to do burnousts in , its fun having the much horsepower u know.....

so alot of your rear end parts including ur u joint are prob going bad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts