Impala Forums banner

261 - 280 of 310 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
i'm among the many who joined just to say thanks to the original poster - and to all the rest of you that followed up with your knowledge and experience.

what could have been a $300 dollar repair cost me lest than 40¢.
the best part about it? i don't have to listen to the witch anymore! 'waahh, my back window won't defrost' :icon_lol:

it's mind numbing that GM hasn't done anything about this. but whatever, nothing changes.

i'd also like to thank myself - because for once in my life i didnt jump the gun and kept reading - and it paid off. no fuse needed! :clap:

thanks again!

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
i'm among the many who joined just to say thanks to the original poster - and to all the rest of you that followed up with your knowledge and experience.

what could have been a $300 dollar repair cost me lest than 40¢.
the best part about it? i don't have to listen to the witch anymore! 'waahh, my back window won't defrost' :icon_lol:

it's mind numbing that GM hasn't done anything about this. but whatever, nothing changes.

i'd also like to thank myself - because for once in my life i didnt jump the gun and kept reading - and it paid off. no fuse needed! :clap:

thanks again!
Welcome to Impalaforums and good job fixing your rear defogger. :)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

thanks again!
This is present all the way through to the 2015 Limited chassis cars.:gaah::gaah:

I really hate to suggest more work for the Mods... but it would be warranted in this case to edit the OP to include that very important piece of info. DO NOT USE A FUSE in the repair lead...:eek:k3:

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Nice work. Welcome to Impalaforums Mwcotthoff. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I noticed this AM that defrost was out again. It has been about 3 weeks since I rewired it (see my previous post on this page.)

Any ideas on where to start? I'm wondering if the fuse is just blown.

I haven't had time to check the connections but I am assuming everything is fine there.

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
I would check fuse and relay. Make sure that a bared wire from your repair has not touched metal and popped fuse.
Just a question
Have you washed/wiped/cleaned the inside of the rear window lately.
Perhaps knocked a wire off the grid.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Upon review, the wire on the engine side is burnt.....have electrical tape over it and can see where it's semi-burnt. I had smelled an odd odor immediately after fixing this but just felt I was being paranoid. Guess I found the answer. Any suggestions?

If the batt 3 fuse under hood is the correct one, it appeared fine. (40a).

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
What gauge wire you using? I had an issue with mine originally. Make sure you using thick enough wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Think I have solved problem. I used butt connectors and 12g wire. Power is running to back. The old connectors I used were causing resistance. When I used the 16g the wires were warm to touch. I'm not feeling that here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did this fix and for some reason my check engine light is staying on now. Car is running fine, never had this light on before...because it's on my remote start won't work. 2013 Impala

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Was your defroster not working before and is working now after the fix?

Will need to get the code read to see what code you have... That will help a lot.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I'm guessing maybe you cut the wrong wire or maybe didn't plug the harness in all the way. Did you turn the car on with the harness unplugged? That will throw a code until it is cleared, ask me how I know because I did it haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

261 - 280 of 310 Posts