Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

New owner of 2016 Impala LT. I'd like to know if any of you can tell me how to adjust the rear camera.

The daylight makes it hard to see any image at all except during rain or nighttime. Traded a 2012 Volt with oem camera & it had adjustments so you could lighten or darken the image, but cannot find such adjustments on this one. Mine is Summit White. Perhaps the light color causes excessive fade? The Volt did with white color also, and GM swapped the oem camera for a new one that did work much better.

Look forward to your comments.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Short and sweet. No adjustments can be done.

·
Registered
52 Posts
One of the few disappointments with this car is the bad picture in rear. If I knew how to get a quality camera I certainly would.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Our 2013 Malibu we had before had an undocumented feature that if you were viewing the camera and pressed menu then you could adjust brightness and contrast. I went out to the Impala a couple minutes ago and tried it but nope, doesn't work on this car.

I don't drive in reverse a lot but I find the camera pretty decent and I love the lines that move with the steering wheel.
Sure it doesn't show every pore in the driver's face that happens to be behind me but I can clearly see obstacles that I might back into and that is what it was designed for.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My problem with the camera is that when the sunlight hits the LCD display, the whole thing washes out, the display just isn't bright enough in the direct sun.

That and when the snow covers the lens, don't have to worry about that for a while, but winter is coming.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My problem with the camera is that when the sunlight hits the LCD display, the whole thing washes out, the display just isn't bright enough in the direct sun.

That and when the snow covers the lens, don't have to worry about that for a while, but winter is coming.
The snow issue is universal to all back up cameras, not just the Impala. Same goes for dirt on the lens.

As for the glare issue, I too have an issue with the screen. Mainly in the summer months. Not sure if that's because the sun is at the most annoying position during my typical driving times in summer or what. I've been debating trying out an anti glare film of some kind. Below is just one example.

Amazon.com: Chevy MyLink 8-inch TouchScreen Matte Antiglare Screen Protectors 3-Pack: Computers & Accessories

·
Registered
227 Posts
The snow issue is universal to all back up cameras, not just the Impala. Same goes for dirt on the lens.

As for the glare issue, I too have an issue with the screen. Mainly in the summer months. Not sure if that's because the sun is at the most annoying position during my typical driving times in summer or what. I've been debating trying out an anti glare film of some kind. Below is just one example.

Amazon.com: Chevy MyLink 8-inch TouchScreen Matte Antiglare Screen Protectors 3-Pack: Computers & Accessories
Heated mirrors exist, are heated camera lenses next on the list of "stuff that will eventually break"?

Also, I think having a two- or three-inch "visor" over the LCD screen would help, maybe a redesign of the little piece of dash that fits on top of the screen? I think someone with good upholstery skills could manage it, not sure how hard the screen would be to use after a change like that.

Or maybe the screen's back light can be swapped out? (Personally I'd ditch the whole screen for a better aftermarket Gorilla Glass or similar type of screen if such a thing existed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts