Impala Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys:
New to this site, and I have a question. I have a 2014 Impala LTZ with an electric parking brake. I'm getting ready to replace the brakes. The front brakes replacement process looks straight forward, but the rear brakes seem to have the parking brake incorporated into the caliper. This is the first time I've replace brake pads with a set-up like this. I have the kit to perform the piston retraction, but there's no information I can find on how to do this on the Impala. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
659 Posts
  1. Once you take the caliper off, Using an appropriate brake caliper piston spanner tool, slowly rotate the brake caliper piston clockwise while applying inward pressure to the brake caliper piston until the piston is fully seated in the brake caliper housing.
  2. Ensure the notches in the brake caliper piston align correctly with the pins on the inner disc brake pad. NOTE: the inner brake pad has the wear sensor.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Jamn said:
I have a 2014 Impala LTZ with an electric parking brake.
Once you take the caliper off, Using an appropriate brake caliper piston spanner tool, slowly rotate the brake caliper piston clockwise while applying inward pressure to the brake caliper piston until the piston is fully seated in the brake caliper housing.
While none of my Impalas have the rears with the rotating piston, my 07 Pontiac does. So I'm familiar with that feature. But what about the electric brake Jamn cites? I'd love to hear more about that.

Doug

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for all of the advice. Just a couple of more questions: Can I assume that after retracting the piston and installing the brake pads, the parking brake will auto adjust just like the brake pedal does? Also, The tool kit I have has two tools to push the piston back into the caliper One turns clockwise while pushing in, and the other turns counter clockwise while pushing in. do I turn the piston clockwise while pushing in on both the right and left caliper? -- In regards to the sensor being on the inside pad,, I'll be using NAPA Adaptive One Brake pads. They're marked inner and outer due to different pad formulas for the inner pad and outer pad.

·
Registered
915 Posts
how many miles are on the car. i have 100K and the rears show half wear left. just put new fronts on last month. so i expect 150K out of the rears :)

i didnt know rears were different than other cars i did. but cant find a video on youtube of 2014 being done.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx Joes74challenger. Thats a very good detailed write-up with video, but its for the front. I found a site that explains how to compress the rear calipers on a Malibu. The calipers look just like the ones on the Impala. You have to use a tool to compress while spinning the center of the piston clockwise. I'm going to give this a whirl this weekend. Hopefully all goes well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
44k on the car. The back pads look to have about 1/8th left. The front about the same, but they're howling while stopping hard, so I'll replace the front rotors as well.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I figured if the fronts were one way the rears may be the same. All in all id just slowly and carefully turn them and if the go in great, if they don't, then go the other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The fronts don't have an e-brake so you just press in the caliper with a compression tool. The tool would obviously turn clockwise to compress. The rears have an emergency brake incorporated into the caliper so you have to actually use a special tool to spin the emergency brake insert while compressing the caliper.... Check out the following link. It'll help when you replace the rears.

·
Registered
915 Posts
wow i'm glad i found this thread. i have 150K on the rears and its time to replace them. I had no idea about this special tool. is that the only thing different that doing the fronts, which i did a while ago. i hope so because i have a bad history of working with parking brakes on some cars...jeep was nightmare with the pads

i see rock auto has the tool for 7 bucks. not bad.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
The newer Impalas use the regular brake pads for the e-brake - there is no separate, dedicated e-brake shoe like the older Impalas. It's much easier than the older ones, but you'll still need a special tool to turn the rear brake pistons in (it's different than the fronts). I'm not sure if it's the same tool on the 9th gens as it is on the newer 8th gens though...

I'm sure someone with more details on the 9th gens will chime in though. I actually just bought a whole kit - it has dies for all of the different types of brake systems. They are relatively cheap on Ebay.

This is what I bought:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/21-pcs-Uni...d+Tool+Kit&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

·
Registered
915 Posts
rockauto has the cube type tool and i think you use your own extension so id save the 12 bucks and just buy that vs the universal.

hope its as easy as the video above to turn :)

·
Registered
915 Posts
So:
Pads
Rotors
Caliper bolts (I always replace since so cheap)
Brake piston tool
Boots should be ok after just 4 years id hope
Did I forget anything? I have grease

normally i get through rock auto but amazon bit cheaper on some things and free ship

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow! I started this thread well over a year ago. I'm already going to replace brake pads again this coming weekend. I used NAPA ADOs, and I'll use them again. They performed very well. Also with the grease, I put a very thin layer between the shim and the piston. That seemed to work well. Thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Wow! I started this thread well over a year ago. I'm already going to replace brake pads again this coming weekend. I used NAPA ADOs, and I'll use them again. They performed very well. Also with the grease, I put a very thin layer between the shim and the piston. That seemed to work well. Thanks for all the responses.

You went through a set of brakes in one year ? Wow! How many miles do you drive a year?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pads last me about 30k. The aftermarket ADOs were no different than the stock. The only difference is that the ADOs seem to stop better....

·
Registered
915 Posts
so i'm lucky fronts lasted about 100 and rears 150 then ;) fronts i buy OE, rears i dont this time

1 - 20 of 27 Posts