Impala Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking for the part number of the rear brake calipers you guys use .i am using pbr and no matter what i try the piston won't go far enough back for pad clearance .help please

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
impala

i am using from oreilly auto parts number 18-4626 and 18-4627 they come in a cardone box but they are stamped pbr i will take a pic and show you

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
9C1 calipers

i'm told that the 9C1 calipers are wider then regular ss calipers anyone got a part number for the rear calipers ?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
were those the stock calipers or replacements if they were replacements they prob got it wrong theres alot on these cars that are diff from stock ss to 9c1 and alot of parts palces dont know wtf there talking about when it comes to the b bodys

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
were those the stock calipers or replacements if they were replacements they prob got it wrong theres alot on these cars that are diff from stock ss to 9c1 and alot of parts palces dont know wtf there talking about when it comes to the b bodys
those replacements they come from oreillys that's why i was asking about the 9c1 because i'm told they are wider.where do you get them from

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
The FRONT 9C1 caliper is wider.

You guys would have an easier time working on your cars if you would stop dreaming up and over enphisising the MINOR 9C1 and Impala SS differences. It's ALL just a Caprice. Get over it, understand the MONOR differences and then you can effectively work on your car.

Far as the Cardone/PBR thing. The original calipers are PBR, Cardone is a REBUILDER meaning they take used original parts, clean them up rebuild them and resell them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Help Please

The FRONT 9C1 caliper is wider.

You guys would have an easier time working on your cars if you would stop dreaming up and oversising the MINOR 9C1 and Impala SS differences. It's ALL just a Caprice. Get over it, understand the MONOR differences and then you can effectively work on your car.

Far as the Cardone/PBR thing. The original calipers are PBR, Cardone is a REBUILDER meaning they take used original parts, clean them up rebuild them and resell them.

with my car up in the air on jack stands i am searching for a solution ,i am sorry if my problem seems minimal .i assure you it is a big problem .now does anybody have a part number for the rear calipers .my problem is the calipers that i have tried won't push back far enough to get it over the pads .should i lube them with some sort of grease ?guys help please

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
YEAH HIS ANSWER WASNT VERY HELPFUL

anyways i havent taken my rears apart but i also have disks so but i dont know the part numbers send a private message to george bates automotive he knows everything about these b bodys!!!!:eek::biggrin:

hope this helps peace

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
How was that not helpful. You are concerned about whether the calipers are right do to your not understanding the whole Cardone/PBR thing. You were also missunderstanding a 9C1 option and thought that could be the problem. You missunderstood things on both counts and hopefully I straightened you out on that.

Once you understand that then you should be looking to find out if the pads are the right part number.

Can you post some pictures, maybe that will help us help you.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I use a large c-clamp and an old brake pad (over the piston) to even out the force. It doesn't look cocked in the pics, but you should check it.
I don't have rear disc brakes, but if that was a front caliper I would say that the piston is not bottomed out in the calipers. Ask the SS/9C1 guys for their opinion to be sure.

You might try putting some compressed air into the hydraulic fitting and see if you can move it back out to try again. Put all the old brake pads in the caliper or a block of wood in there because you don't want the piston to pop all the way out. Use one of the old pads and your c-clamp to evenly spread the force on the piston and go slowly. Make sure that it doesn't get cocked.

Also, as previously mentioned, check the part number of the pads to make sure that you have the right ones.

Also, as mentioned previously, the 9C1/SS functional difference is for the FRONT calipers/pads. The rear caliper difference between 9C1 and SS is only a cosmetic difference.

If all else fails, take the calipers, the brake pads, and a rotor back to the parts store and ask them to show you how it fits. Take along all boxes for the new parts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK

I don't have rear disc brakes, but if that was a front caliper I would say that the piston is not bottomed out in the calipers. Ask the SS/9C1 guys for their opinion to be sure.

You might try putting some compressed air into the hydraulic fitting and see if you can move it back out to try again. Put all the old brake pads in the caliper or a block of wood in there because you don't want the piston to pop all the way out. Use one of the old pads and your c-clamp to evenly spread the force on the piston and go slowly. Make sure that it doesn't get cocked.

Also, as previously mentioned, check the part number of the pads to make sure that you have the right ones.

Also, as mentioned previously, the 9C1/SS functional difference is for the FRONT calipers/pads. The rear caliper difference between 9C1 and SS is only a cosmetic difference.

If all else fails, take the calipers, the brake pads, and a rotor back to the parts store and ask them to show you how it fits. Take along all boxes for the new parts.
thanx for your help .i can't beleive it has been over a week and i still don't have brakes ,wow

1 - 17 of 17 Posts