Impala Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how sad and pathetic is this? I drove thru the carwash this morning to get all the salt brine off the car and when I got to my next destination, I found that the rear bowtie was showing that the wash must have pealed off the top "Yellow/Gold" layer, leaving tacky feeling silver goo. Lools like I will be getting the heat gun out of storage and will work on removing the rest of the plastic bowtie, leaving the tailgate unbadged and clean looking. I have also noticed the rear bow ties on other Chevy vehicles, mainly the trucks, where the bow tie is pealing or faded. I guess GM has cheaped out on the emblems now. my car doesn't even have 5000 miles on it yet.

·
Super Moderator
10,726 Posts
GM would replace it under warranty - if you chose not to de-badge. Common issue with the trucks - they cover it. Just tell them it fell off.

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't mention that it came off during a car wash though - then they'd blame the car wash and might not work with you. Just tell them that you just noticed it was no longer there - not lying - just not providing too much detail! :) Then again, they may still work with you even if you do mention the car wash - but I wouldn't, just to be sure...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
10,726 Posts
brain fart. I meant the bowtie on the trunk lid that is coming off.
You meant the bowtie on the trunk lid that "just fell off". It was there when you started driving, not there when you got out. :eek:k3:

·
Banned
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's the truth! Went thru the carwash and came out and it appears a slim film that made up the yellow/goldish colored bowtie had probably "blown" off after going thru the dryers I am assuming.

·
Banned
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got mine off back on Saturday and no regrets, such a nice clean look with everything off back there. next step, a mild tint on the taillights. Maybe black out some of the plastic fake chrome.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Don't feel bad about the tinfoil bowtie peeling off on the Impalas!
The SAME issue exists on the 07 and up GM fullsize trucks on the
grille and tailgate.....................

If the vehicle is still under the 3/36 the dealer will replace at n/c.

·
0 Posts
Just noticed this morning my new 2014 Impala gold foil of the front bowtie is missing from the grille. All that is left is the chrome outline and some weak putty that used to hold the pretty part. Guess I drove too fast and blew the sob right off. It's got to be my fault and not Govm't Motors cheapening out.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Going thru an automatic car wash should not cause the Chevrolet Bow Tie logo to start peeling off. That means the Bow Tie logos were cheaply made or Cheaply put on the car. I thought the whole point of there Chevrolet Bow Tie was to brand the car a Chevrolet and for advertising so it makes no sense GM cheaper them. Pretty bad for advertising when someone sees a 8th gen. 2006-2013 Impala with a nasty, faded, peeling, and/or falling off Bow Tie. I have a 2010 Impala LS and the Bow Tie is still yellow with very slight bubbling in it. Luckily nobody, including myself, can notice it unless you look up close to it. How do you get the trunk Bow Tie off? Is it easy to due and is any residue left where you can tell its removed?

·
Go Get It
15,039 Posts
When you remove it, there will be some left over adhesive. Use some goo-gone to get it off, then wash the area with soapy water immediately. You'll also want to wax that area. But it should be completely unnoticeable unless your paint has faded a significant amount

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
I think that the bowtie falling off is just an isolated case - I haven't heard of that happening to anyone else, so I don't think it's a common occurrence. For all we know, the trunk could have been repaired due to a previous accident and just not repaired properly (assuming he bought the car used). You'd be surprised what some used vehicles have gone through before you buy them, even when they look perfect!

Or it could have been some sort of malfunction with the car wash equipment - who knows. Don't think that we can say it's a GM problem just from one occurrence though...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think that the bowtie falling off is just an isolated case - I haven't heard of that happening to anyone else, so I don't think it's a common occurrence. For all we know, the trunk could have been repaired due to a previous accident and just not repaired properly (assuming he bought the car used). You'd be surprised what some used vehicles have gone through before you buy them, even when they look perfect!

Or it could have been some sort of malfunction with the car wash equipment - who knows. Don't think that we can say it's a GM problem just from one occurrence though...
that sounds more like the problem, car prolly went thru some things before you got your hands on it. NONE of my emblems have ever faded, cracked, fallen off, ever. either way im taking off all my emblems/badges, and replacing them with those old solid ones. that impala badge in cursive writing will look top class on the trunk where the ones are currently placed. gonna swap out the gold chevy badge with the blue and white ones too.

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
Very interested in seeing what the trunk looks like with the script-style emblem! Please do post pics... I put the script-style emblems on my doors and love they way that they look there....

I'm kind of at a stand-still with my mods - not sure what I want to do next (besides putting headrest monitors in - that's still "in progress")... Kinda happy with the way everything looks now that I finally got my windows tinted... Not interested in plasti-dipping my wheels at all. I just really like the way everything looks right now (but have the itch to do *something*!).

·
Go Get It
15,039 Posts
I think he's talking about a 60s style script...

And I know what you mean about the itch to do something, I get that itch a lot... :lol:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Both the front & rear bowties on my 14 Limited are bubbling; when it rains the water literally gets inside them. Looks terrible.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts