Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a before/after Dyno of a tune on a 3.5?
Also.. what is the major difference between the LZ4 and LZE? They seem to be the same motor with the addition flexfuel capabilities.. which, in that case you should be able to squeeze quite a bit of power out of the car just using a tune. The Saturn Aura's using a LZ4 were 219 horsepower. Out of all the LZE/LZ4 applications the Impala seems to have the lowest number.

Just trying to decide if it's worth the money for a custom tune, but I'd like a realistic number of what I can expect to gain in either HP/TQ or MPG.

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Do some searching on the forum to find more details on this because I'm just gonna be short and sweet.

There are no offical numbers on hp,tq,or mpg.

Some people see 5mpg more and some see no change.

Hp/tq noone has put the car on a dyno before and after.

The tune bassically advances your timing some and tweaks the air to fuel ratio to get you some more power and mpg.

Also the throttle rolling in and out and wide open gets tweaked to get rid of deadspots and lag caused by the drive by wire system

The biggest difference you will feel is the revised torque management and shift points/pressures. That right there allows you to put more power to the ground and have more firm/faster shifts.

in the end it is 110% worth it.
I would esspecially reccommend the overkill tune. Will the owner has been around wbody cars for years and really knows how to perfectly tune them.

If you wanna know more either use the search function and read the threads or just email will and talk to him.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Also the lze is just a flex fuel capable lz4.

And both the lz4 and lze are just destroked versions on the lz9 or 3.9l motor.

The 3.9l motor also has a variable intake with short and long runners.

Before you ask the 3.9l variable intake will not be a upgrade on the 3.5l. It will actually hurt performance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I can't wait for it to warm up a little more so I can drive my car down to Will and have him Overkill my ECM/TCM. My belief is that the engine tune will make the car work as efficiently as possible, but is the engine tune safe for my engine and transmission? I know these cars have fragile transmissions and I don't want to run into transmission troubles.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
the tune will probably help the trans live longer, unless you can not keep you foot out of the gas and do street drags

·
Apex Everything
2,939 Posts
i think the 3.9 is a bored & stroked version of the 3.5, from what i've read. just my $0.02

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the Overkill tune in my 2016 limited changed the car completely. not one bad thing about it 70,000 miles since I installed it. buy the best brakes you can and get the bigger gm sway bars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts