Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me the real difference bettween the two, i have a caprice with a 4.3 "mini LT-1". is it just the computers different or is the motor itelf built different? will the 5.7 upgrades work on the 4.3? can i swap computers to make the 4.3 act like a 5.7? any help would be nice and thanks u guys

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
ok so a 4.3 and 5.7 is a difference in piston size and displacement inside the engine which creates more power i.e thats y the 5.7 has more power than the 4.3........ and for your questions if u can switch the 4.3 comp w/ a 5.7 im pretty sure that cant be done just because theres two different computers for different motors.... i myself would stay away from the 4.3 if u can lt1's
(caprices) arent that expensive and there easy to find used .....as for a swap of the engine the engine mounts are different not sure about transmission:confused: anyways hope this helps im sure someone else will chime in about this:cool:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm fairly (but not 100%) certain that the transmissions were the same from 93 on up.

I know my '94 4.3 has the 4L60-E...it was also in the Imp SS's and the bigger V8 B-Body cars.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I'm fairly (but not 100%) certain that the transmissions were the same from 93 on up.

I know my '94 4.3 has the 4L60-E...it was also in the Imp SS's and the bigger V8 B-Body cars.
yeah i figured most were 4l60-e i think that my 1991 w the 350 had a 700r4 ????????:biggrin:

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
94 started with the 4L60E. 93 was still a TBI/700R4 combo. Both engines are very reliable. The 4.3 came in L99 came in 94-96 with LT1 being the option for Caprice'. LT1 was not an option on Impala since Impala only came with LT1.

Los Angeles Police Department chose the 4.3 for economy since they do not really do much highway action. They def. push the cars they have to the max with abuse. We did not refurbish many 4.3's but they lasted just as long. They have about 60 HP less (per factory) than the LT1. They look identical under the hood and many people cannot tell the diff. That's another story.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
think the 700r4 would be a good choice behind an lt1 we know what kind of problems our transmissions have ;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
the L99 and LT1 trans had differences. Not aware of them all, but for one the L99 4l60e trans did not have the Vette Servo. the 7004r is a 4l60, which is the same as a 4l60e (except the E is electronic). I see no advantage to reliability if they choose to use the 4l60..

the l99 also used smaller injectors...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I wasn't aware the engine mounts were different...just what IS the difference?

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
the L99 and LT1 trans had differences. Not aware of them all, but for one the L99 4l60e trans did not have the Vette Servo. the 7004r is a 4l60, which is the same as a 4l60e (except the E is electronic). I see no advantage to reliability if they choose to use the 4l60..

the l99 also used smaller injectors...
I have seen less problems with the 700r4 and the differences in motor still only add up to a 60 HP diff. Still a nice engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts