Impala Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I been a lurker here. I searched, learned alot, and decided on a 04 LS 3.8.

I found one with 102K asking $6,200. Leather, Sun Roof, spoiler, new tires, new brake pads, etc
It took me an hour and a half to drive up there.
I test drove it and it went fine. Checked oil and tranny fluid color and smell.
I made a cash offer and he accepted. I signed title and bill of sale for an as is no refunds sale.
It had his plates on it and we needed a way to get it down to me. He figured out a way to have his friend follow us down to my house so he could then take the plates.

Well after 20 minutes on parkway the car started making a clatter noise. It seemed to come from under engine on drivers side. Then it stopped, heard a few clunks something going under car and car stalled so I directed it to shoulder.

Car would now not turn over. No error codes. Temp gauge was normal.

Theres a few more details but basically I got scammed HARD!!!!!

I need to know any rough diagnosis, potential issue, cost to fix etc.
I will have to decide if its worth getting fixed. Iwant to be prepared for when Chevy dealer says I need new tranny or motor or anything....

Cars has been towed to tow yard and I will have to get towed to a dealer or mechanic.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Does the starter motor turn and the engine won't run or no starter motor either? Any fluids leaks after you pulled over?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No signs of fluid leaks from underneath or on top.

You can turn key and nothing. Dash lights up, no error codes, but will not turn over or do anything.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Your starter may have stayed engaged and locked up tighter than Fort Knox. And probably fell off. Hopefully that is all it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a feeling that this is serious issue. That they did a cheap bubblegum repair to make it temporarily run.
What would have blown out from underneath??

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Unfortunately it is hard to say with out seeing the car in person. I don't think it will be to serious since you are not finding leaking fluids or obvious parts in wrong places, and since the starter motor make no noise at all I do not think the engine is locked up.

I have seen that when engines is locked up that the starter will kick back (spin backwards) momentarily as you let off the key. Since you do not even hear that, that is why I think it will be starter related. But I could be wrong, as I said it is hard to say with out seeing the car first hand.

·
Registered
557 Posts
pull the spark plugs, and I mean all of them, and see if the car will turn over. I have a feeling in might be hydro locked, especially with that 3.8l

·
Registered
3 Posts
lemon law

depending on the state there is a law in most states for private and public sales of motor vehicles. What it basically states is if the cost of repairs is more then the car then the seller must pay up or take it back. Atleast in Mass thats the law. do some research. might be safer that way then keeping a lemon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies.

The motor locked up. Dropped a crank.
I'm getting a different 3.8 motor put in.
I should have by tomorrow evening.

How can you tell if the odomoter miles were played with???

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
It is unusual for those V-6's to drop the crankshaft. That one must have had a flaw that just finally broke.

If your odometer is digital the only way to stop it is to remove the VSS plug from the sensor and that will throw the "Check Engine" light. The cluster could have been changed for one that had lower mileage, hard to prove if it was.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I went and had a mechanic put in a different engine. On my way home I got 40 miles away and....
stall.
I looked under and dripping oil out a hole.
SAME THING HAPPENED.
This car has not made it to my driveway yet!

I had to get car towed and dropped off at mechanic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts